Air Port Express I NEED help !!

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a air port express.

my current set up is as follows

I have a cable router attached to a Linksys wireless router, from the router I have a network hard drive and my airport express attached via ethernet.

I have a ipad Im trying to print from, on apples site it shows a easy set up.... well not so much...

It shows a option in wi fi networks that says set up an air port base station its shows it under choose network and above the ask to join networks switch on the bottom.

I have a ipad 2 running ios5.1 I do not have that option

I installed air port utility but could not get my iPad to see the printer .

I can print from my laptop MAC

I thought this was an easy set up ?

Please help

Thanks

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So let me get this straight. Your Mac & your iPad are connected to the network, correct? And all u wanna do is print from your iPad, correct?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought network-connected printers were still not supported on iOS? In other words, to print from your iPad (without using any jailbreak apps or third-party workarounds) I thought the only option was to buy an AirPrint enabled printer (of which there are only around a dozen or so models).

supratik

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You can set up AE to join wirelessly an existing network. AE also has USB out to connect with any printer which can print via AE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You can set up AE to join wirelessly an existing network. AE also has USB out to connect with any printer which can print via AE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, but you still have to get the content from the iPad to the AE?that's the part I thought was not supported yet.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I purchased then AE to be able to print from my iPhone and iPad , both running ios5.1

I have a canon mp560 wireless printer

Is there a way to print to a non air play printer or do I need to return the AE and purchase a air print printer

I have been trying to print from my iPad and iPhone for a year now, why is it so god damn completed

the guy in the mac store said I can print to a iPad with the AE... is he full of poop ?

I did not want to take my link sys router out of the loop because my wireless hard drive is attached.

I just added an ethernet cable from the old link sys router and connected it to the AE.

I have green lights on the internet and AE on in the airport utility.

Why can't I print ??

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Follow up: see this Apple page about AirPrint, especially this part: "AirPrint only works with a Wi-Fi network connection to an AirPrint-capable printer. A printer connected using Bluetooth or to the USB port of a Mac, PC, AirPort Base Station, or Time Capsule is not supported."

iOS: AirPrint 101

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the is a Canon app that would give you some help? I believe there are some apps like that out there?but that means using the app instead of the built in AirPrint system.

To be honest, the way Apple has handled printing in ios has been a huge sh*tshow. Basically, they want everyone in the world to buy a new printer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
May I suggest a $50 Epson NX430 All-in-One printer? Setting it up to my wireless network was a cinch and was done via the front control panel of the printer. The longest part of the process was inserting the network's passcode. I was immediately able to print to it from my iOS devices without having to install a support app.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm with JustMe'D -

I recently 'upgraded' my printer (less than the cost of complete set of cartridges for my old one) to a wireless Epson NX330. It uses my regular (non-AE) wi-fi and, after the process Justme'D noted above and an install of Epson's iPrint App, all is a go on both my iPad and iPhone.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm with JustMe'D -

I recently 'upgraded' my printer (less than the cost of complete set of cartridges for my old one) to a wireless Epson NX330. It uses my regular (non-AE) wi-fi and, after the process Justme'D noted above and an install of Epson's iPrint App, all is a go on both my iPad and iPhone.

With the NX430, I didn't have to install the Epson iPrint app. Still, the OP can't go wrong with either printer. Thanks for the input and have a great weekend. ;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Earlier I did some research on this because I have a Canon MX870 NEW wireless printer that is not on the AirPrint list. From what I learned, Apple's concept is that the iDevices have ONE printer driver installed across all iDevices. You have to buy a printer that accommodates that driver.

This is the reverse of the PC/printer relationship where the PC has to have a driver specific to the printer.

It makes sense from Apple's view, but for those of us without that capability - which apparently must be built in to the printer - it's a frustrating PITA.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
With the NX430, I didn't have to install the Epson iPrint app. Still, the OP can't go wrong with either printer. Thanks for the input and have a great weekend. ;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Huh. Imagine that. So it just runs from any Print command on the iDevice? Huh.

I guess I went and did one step more than I needed, but on the other hand, the iPrint app may give me more access to the printer options and access to Online resources? I have noted that printing from the iDevice remains better formatted if printing a PDF rather than a regular doc file, but that's something I can create easily enough.

Its just too bad that the AE, for all its premium price, is unable to communicate properly with all Apple devices. My crappy little wi-fi modem came with my ISP subscription and it works with my iDevices, my printer and my PC netbook without issue.

Imagine that. ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Huh. Imagine that. So it just runs from any Print command on the iDevice? Huh.

I guess I went and did one step more than I needed, but on the other hand, the iPrint app may give me more access to the printer options and access to Online resources? I have noted that printing from the iDevice remains better formatted if printing a PDF rather than a regular doc file, but that's something I can create easily enough.

Its just too bad that the AE, for all its premium price, is unable to communicate properly with all Apple devices. My crappy little wi-fi modem came with my ISP subscription and it works with my iDevices, my printer and my PC netbook without issue.

Imagine that. ;)

I hear ya, my friend. I've attached a photo of an updated news article that I emailed a friend. I printed the message directly from my iPhone via the mail app.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2