New Mac Old Printer Issue

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got my neighbor to replace her aging Windows PC with a new MacBook Air, and while I was setting it up for her, the only problem I ran into was with the printer. It is a HP LaserjetPro connected via USB (no wireless available). The Mac sees the printer, and I can send something to the printer, the print monitor acts as if it is printing, but nothing happens at the printer. When I download the HP Software, it cannot find the printer.

So far, I've tried re-booting the MacBook and Printer, disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, and resetting the print system and re-adding the printer several times. I don't know what else to do, and they're going to have to return the MacBook and buy another Windows PC if I cannot fix this.

Any ideas?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried the remedy there (and a few others) with no luck. I even tried my MacBook Pro with the printer and the same thing happens. The HP utility just spins and says it cannot find a printer connected, even though it shows up in the Mac Settings as an available printer. I think the only options are a new printer (unlikely) or they return the MacBook Air and buy another Windows PC (ugh).

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is listed there. And yes I have tried the generic driver. No result, it still sends print jobs to the printer, and says they are complete, but nothing prints.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is listed there. And yes I have tried the generic driver. No result, it still sends print jobs to the printer, and says they are complete, but nothing prints.
I'm assuming you tried both generic drivers.

At this point, I would reset the printer's settings on the printer. It is rare with personal use devices, but it is possible that some settings were set that cause the printer to not behave as expected.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77