iMessage

josh44#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Mom has new 4S and iPad 2. Had an interesting question. Why when she sends a message through iMessage on iPhone, does it not appear on iPad yet the response appears on both?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That's what I do and it's really helpful to have the threads synced between devices because I don't always have both devices with me and I am able to respond with either and know the scope of the thread

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering more and more if I should just simply use my email address as the CallerID for iMessage, too...

Hmm, interesting...

If you want it to sync without issues, it is easier to use an email address. A Mac, MacBook, iPad (wifi only models) do not have a phone number, but all of them can be configured with a single email address and therefore, it makes more sense, at least in my opinion, to use an email address as the caller ID in regard to iMessage.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Very valid points JustME, D.

In addition, if you don't particularly want someone to have your mobile number, the CallerID with an email address would work wonders, too.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Late to the thread - but if I am to send an iMessage to someone with, say, a BlackBerry, Android phone, etc. (i.e. NOT iMessage capable), what do they see? Does it default to SMS and using my phone number? Or do they see my apple ID as the caller ID?

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
if you don't particularly want someone to have your mobile number, the CallerID with an email address would work wonders, too.

I was thinking this would be great, too. Just wonder if the phone is smart enough to tell the difference between the different devices. I know about the green and blue bubbles, and I know it'll default to SMS if iMessage can't get through..but how smart is it to integrate in the rest of the world? And if someone sends a new SMS to my phone, and I respond, will they get it from a different address?

ChemEngr

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Late to the thread - but if I am to send an iMessage to someone with, say, a BlackBerry, Android phone, etc. (i.e. NOT iMessage capable), what do they see? Does it default to SMS and using my phone number? Or do they see my apple ID as the caller ID?

If the recipient is not a registered iMessage user, your iPhone will send via SMS hence your caller ID will be your mobile number. If you use an iPad to send an iMessage, and the recipient is not an iMessage user, you will get an error message and the send button is grayed out.

Reactions: impaler

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If the recipient is not a registered iMessage user, your iPhone will send via SMS hence your caller ID will be your mobile number. If you use an iPad to send an iMessage, and the recipient is not an iMessage user, you will get an error message and the send button is grayed out.

So, to be clear...if I set my caller ID to my Apple ID, and I send to a iMessage user, they get the message as sent from my email address, and everything syncs up among my iOS devices.

If the caller ID is my email and I send to a non-iMessage user, they get the message as sent from my phone number, and replies only go back to my iPhone.

Correct?

Reactions: Helvitis

Unpetitpiaf

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've only got problems from using iMessage. I much prefer Whatsapp, since almost all my friends use this app (but it's a crap when it comes to security and privacy, though).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2