moving from Gmail to iCloud

iridium7777#CB

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting this thread since I don't want to 'highjack' the one with regards to benefits, as I've made the decision that I think it would be worth for me to move away from gmail to icloud and i want to explore logistis. i have the following questions though, that i'm hoping someone could answer. i recently got a replacement phone and lost the exchange function for email, and i hate the idea of using a gmail app for push notifications, which are important to me

1) is it possible for icloud to automatically suck in all my gmail emails? when i moved away from yahoo gmail did this very easily for me and automatically sucked everything in, down to the folders (i think, either way it's OK if i lose the folder structure). i'm hoping there is an easy way to port through icloud directly without buying some sort of a 3rd party program, etc.

2) is it possible to mask the sent from in icloud to still show @gmail.com? I believe gmail allows this setting. I don't really want to transition to @icloud or @.me or whatever, so I would just automatically forward all emails from gmail to icloud and would like to set the sent from to gmail.com so people don't get confused.

thanks for the answers.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Have your Gmail account automatically forward your email to your iCloud account. As long as you have your Gmail account on your iPhone, you can change the From each time you reply to an email, so all people see is the Gmail account. It will be manual on your end though.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
1). No. But if you use Mail on your Mac, you can have both accounts up and literally move the emails from Gmail to iCloud.

2). No. MobileMe did this for a while, but if you get a new iCloud account, you get an icloud.com account. If you previously had a MobileMe account or got in iCloud earlier, you'll also have a me.com account. Or if you're really old like me, you'll have a Mac.com account from the .mac and iTools days.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking of this as well. It would be nice just to be able to use iCloud. Then I could get my email pushed.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

iridium7777#CB

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
1). No. But if you use Mail on your Mac, you can have both accounts up and literally move the emails from Gmail to iCloud.

2). No. MobileMe did this for a while, but if you get a new iCloud account, you get an icloud.com account. If you previously had a MobileMe account or got in iCloud earlier, you'll also have a me.com account. Or if you're really old like me, you'll have a Mac.com account from the .mac and iTools days.

Found the solution about moving mail folders in the Mac Mail.

I must be as old as you because I have both Mac and me.com also but what I was asking if I could still send from blah@gmail.com . It seems like I could do it manually but can't set it up permanently.

Oh well, maybe a full transition is not for me yet.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You cannot send as "xxxx@gmail.com" from iCloud. You can either send from the Gmail account or the iCloud account. Again, MobileMe had this working on me.com for a short period of time, where I was able to send a few Gmail emails from there, but it's since disappeared.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2