Parallel robbery

RGT70

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
It's nothing just a small amount of update fee of $49 when I update the system to Yosemite. Parallel knows how to make money! Heard from my friends that same thing happened for server osx.
Anyone has similar experience?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
That's only for version 8 and below ... They are on Version 10 .. To their defense they are two versions ahead and they are a for profit business. Granted I don't like paying upgrade fee's either however I have found Parallels 10 to dramatically outperform version 8.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you use it then really is $49 a lot to get the new version and continue to get support from a developer?

Plus Apple gave you Yosemite for free so you can use that upgrade money to get Parallels 10 :)

RGT70

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
That's only for version 8 and below ... They are on Version 10 .. To their defense they are two versions ahead and they are a for profit business. Granted I don't like paying upgrade fee's either however I have found Parallels 10 to dramatically outperform version 8.

I know there would be a great performance improvement. Software purchase is usually a one time purchase or pay by year for some cases. Those pay-by-year softwares would state the future cost well at the time of purchase. When I bought Parallel I thought it was a one-time payment. The update fee is just surprisingly amazing. :(

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I know there would be a great performance improvement. Software purchase is usually a one time purchase or pay by year for some cases. Those pay-by-year softwares would state the future cost well at the time of purchase. When I bought Parallel I thought it was a one-time payment. The update fee is just surprisingly amazing. :(

It is a one-time payment - for the version that you licensed. If you want the new version, you have to pay the license fee to get/use it. The solution is to not upgrade and keep using the version that you already have. You get to choose.

RGT70

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
If you use it then really is $49 a lot to get the new version and continue to get support from a developer?

Plus Apple gave you Yosemite for free so you can use that upgrade money to get Parallels 10 :)

You're right that $49 is not a lot. Just Parallel didn't make it clear at the time of purchase for future update cost. That makes me uncomfortable. I'm totally ok for those pay-by-year software cuz I know there would be future cost when I buy it. :sick::D

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Another way to think of it that you get to run a 2nd OS for $49 on your current hardware with the latest hypervisor features and support. That's good deal in my view. In some aspects, that's almost like getting a 2nd laptop/desktop for $49.

I have used Parallels since version 6.x and think they put out a quality product. I'm still on version 9.x, but haven't needed to fire up my Windows 7 VM in months. May wait awhile to sort out what I'm going to do with my 4+ yr old Mac Mini (runs Parallels) before I update to Parallels 10.

Update: The fact that we (computer users) can even run multiple OS's on the same hardware platform and host OS (in this case OS X) is more than cool. I've been around awhile, and still remember well punch cards, rotary phones, radio, black and white TVs, and other "ancient" technology from the last century (thankfully for the punch cards I was still young enough to not be out of school and into the industry at that time). Not picking on you RGT70. Just trying to help share a broader perspective for how much and how far $49 goes :) Be happy that we (me included) live in an era where we have such cool stuff:)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2