Apple TV - first day hiccup

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
As I posted in another thread, I just got my Apple TV 4K yesterday - first time ATV user. Watching my usual Friday night garbage went about the same as always, no problems other than finding my way around Hulu. Eventually got the sound bar working (had to learn the smart bar’s remote); Hulu is working fine now that I’m finally figuring out how stuff works in there; Netflix, Amazon TV and HBO MAX are all loaded up and logged in; and apps are all arranged where I want them.

Woke up this morning and flipped on F1 qualifying, no problems, everything was working normally. Went back to bed, because 10 AM is just a ridiculous time to be up on a Saturday, then woke up to see the LED on the ATV box flashing. Tried to turn it on, nothing. Turned the tv on with its own remote and saw the big white apple and a progress bar, so I figured it’s installing an update (reminder to self: turn off automatic updates). When it finally finished installing, everything looked ok, but there was no sound, and the Siri remote was no longer turning the tv on or off. Volume buttons on the Siri remote did nothing on either the tv or the sound bar, same thing with the tv remote. The sound bar remote seemed to be doing something, but there was still no sound coming out, and volume and mute buttons on everything were unresponsive. Nothing in the ATV settings appeared to be changed, nor did changing any of them solve the missing sound. Worse yet, some setting somewhere was locking me out of the audio settings on my tv. Even tried rebooting the ATV, didn’t fix it. Probably about a half hour of cursing and menu-diving yielded zero results. All I could figure was the ATV update somehow borked up a tv setting somewhere, because the ATV seemed to otherwise be functioning properly, but I was running out of ideas on where to look.

Then on a whim I tried the Aquos Link setup on the tv’s advanced settings (Sharp’s name for HDMI CEC settings), because nothing else was working, and just moving to the Control setting without actually changing anything suddenly popped the sound on, and everything appeared to be back to normal. Just like that there was sound, and everything was again responding to the Siri remote as it was before all this started.

Has anyone else had issues like this, or any other serious abnormality after an ATV update? I’m just wondering if this is something I’ll have to deal with regularly, if it’s more of a one-time thing, or if maybe it’s time for a new tv. Mine is only about 5-6 years old (can’t remember exactly), has all the HDMI support I need, and the display is still perfect. Though for a supposed smart tv it’s pretty dumb - relatively primitive by today’s standards for anything other than viewing what other devices feed it. Is there such a thing as a tv that’s more compatible than others with ATV? I’d love to hear any similar experiences or suggestions.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
While it is not Apple TV specific, I did see my Sony TV crashing my Sony Home Theatre system either when I powered on the TV or turned it off.

The behaviour was the same, no sound, while using HDMI CEC and HDMI ARC. I eventually replaced the home theatre system with a different brand (for unrelated reasons) and never had issues with sound ever since.

It could be a compatibility issue in the chain. It sounds like the TV did not negotiate an audio link with the Apple TV. I don’t know if you tried to power cycle the TV using its remote… that’s what I had to do with the Sony HTS.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
It could be a compatibility issue in the chain. It sounds like the TV did not negotiate an audio link with the Apple TV. I don’t know if you tried to power cycle the TV using its remote… that’s what I had to do with the Sony HTS.

Good info - that’s one thing I didn’t try, but I’ll give it a shot if it happens again. Funny thing is that it was fine earlier this morning when I first turned it on, and that was after turning the whole system on and off a few times last night without issue. The problem started after the ATV update, which I very well could have hosed up myself when I tried to turn it on while the update was in progress.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77