Retina vs. Non-Retina vs. Full 1080p Displays

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Retina Display! Full 1080p HD display! The cries of the marketers, but how important is such clarity? I have an iPhone 5 with Retina Display, I have an iPad Mini without Retina Display, and I have an old laptop with no sense of HD anywhere in the display. I have also played with some devices with full 1080p HD display screens. Are they necessary? Not by a long shot, but they look nice, and are much easier on the eyes. But is there really a difference between the 326ppi of the Retina Display and the 446ppi of full 1080p HD displays on other phones or tablets? Nope. The difference would even be subtle on a 15 inch laptop I think. I wholeheartedly believe that the only time you need full HD is with larger screens.

Other phones have ridiculous amounts of pixels in them, but they still fail to look as good or as sharp as the display on my iPhone 5. This is because number of pixels alone doesn?t equal quality, only clarity, and after a certain point it?s completely useless to increase the pixel count. But once you?ve decided on your pixel count then you need to focus on quality. You need to focus on color representation and sharpness. Watching HD video on an iPhone 5 is almost like looking through a window, and watching HD on another device with a full 1080p display is like looking through a screen and a dirty window. That?s a major flaw in my opinion.

There?s a reason I chose Apple over the competition, and why I?ve stuck with them. The quality of the displays is unmatched by the competition. Even my iPad Mini?s non-Retina Display is amazingly good. The text is a little harsher, and the video a little grainier, but overall it still beats out a lot of the competition. So why is there this incessant need to increase pixel counts? I don?t understand it and I don?t think I ever will. For smaller screens I don?t think you get a better screen ratio or pixel count than Apple?s Retina Display, but when it comes to larger screens like laptops, TV?s, and movie screens, then you do need a better ratio and higher pixel count because there is more screen to cover. Think of it like putting sugar in cereal, most people will put 1-2 tablespoons of sugar in their cereal, but a larger bowl will require more sugar. A regular bowl is like a phone or tablet, and the larger bowl is your laptops, TV?s, and movie screens; the sugar is your pixel count.

And yet, the pixel count race has reached a point where anything less than 446ppi is deemed a terrible screen. It?s ludicrous, it really is. The spec race in general is asinine; Apple has proved that time and again. While phones are getting to the octa-core level, Apple is still rocking dual-core and blowing past the competition. Apple proves over and over that specs alone don?t make a device. It?s how you use what you have, it?s how the operating system runs, it?s what you do with the screens, it?s everything outside of the specs as well as the specs that make a device?and an experience. So is there a need for Retina Display?s and full 1080p displays? Sure there is, the days on non HD are over, that?s why all new Apple devices get the Retina Display. Standard definition is done, but there is no need for 1080p displays on mobile devices, the screens just aren?t big enough for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been saying those things for a while. Is the retina display gorgeous? Of course, it is. Do I need it? Heck no. Is the non-retina model sufficient for my needs? You bet, but I know that doesn't apply to everyone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's the same way with TV's as well...you'd laugh at how Best Buy employees describe a 720p HD plasma vs. a 1080p HD plasma. I have a 1080p 60" plasma in my living room, and a 50" 720p plasma in my bedroom. Between the two TV's, while watching 99.9999999999999% of the things we watch on them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference AT ALL. I even set them next to each other when we go the 60" just to compare, and the only time I was able to see a clear difference was on one single blu-ray disc, and that disc was Avatar. There were slight differences in some of the crisp lines and the darker colors seemed more defined amongst lighter colors. I had to sit and specifically LOOK for differences to see these things, and when I realized what I found, I laughed at the importance of some of these HD specs.

The iPhone's screen is beautiful and perfectly high definition...anyone stuck on numbers on paper will always be the ones who critique things based on such. They'll say "Well, you're only saying it's just as good because it's obviously not...", but show me the "obvious" difference? I tell people when I buy a TV all the time to get the remote for the display unit and adjust every TV I'm looking at to the same specs, and you'd be shocked at home many times the visual specs are turned down to sell a higher priced unit...thankfully these same tactics can't be used on phones most times because consumers are already aware of the quality.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It's the same way with TV's as well...you'd laugh at how Best Buy employees describe a 720p HD plasma vs. a 1080p HD plasma. I have a 1080p 60" plasma in my living room, and a 50" 720p plasma in my bedroom. Between the two TV's, while watching 99.9999999999999% of the things we watch on them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference AT ALL. I even set them next to each other when we go the 60" just to compare, and the only time I was able to see a clear difference was on one single blu-ray disc, and that disc was Avatar. There were slight differences in some of the crisp lines and the darker colors seemed more defined amongst lighter colors. I had to sit and specifically LOOK for differences to see these things, and when I realized what I found, I laughed at the importance of some of these HD specs.

The iPhone's screen is beautiful and perfectly high definition...anyone stuck on numbers on paper will always be the ones who critique things based on such. They'll say "Well, you're only saying it's just as good because it's obviously not...", but show me the "obvious" difference? I tell people when I buy a TV all the time to get the remote for the display unit and adjust every TV I'm looking at to the same specs, and you'd be shocked at home many times the visual specs are turned down to sell a higher priced unit...thankfully these same tactics can't be used on phones most times because consumers are already aware of the quality.

I will keep that in mind when I decide to get a nice TV of my own.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting, because I feel that sooner or later Smartphones will all be 1080p. It's not even going to be a debate. Things will seriously go that way by pure trending.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
When I had my non retina mini I did not think it made a difference, but now that I have my Air I KNOW better!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The "retina display" effect is a function of resolution and viewing distance. On TVs 1080p is fine because when sitting on your couch your eyes cannot resolve the pixels at that distance. When viewing a 4" screen at arm's length you don't need nearly as many pixels to get the same effect. Rene did a very nice write up on this a good while back when Apple started down this retina path.

As long as the display is above 300ppi at the average viewing distance any display is a "retina display" under the marketing term. I personally hate that term.

To me the real debate should be screen tech; OLED vs. LCD. Pentile vs. RGB etc. That stuff. Every panel is plenty high in resolution these days.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2