AT&T Never Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
We are completely fed up with AT&T. We will be jailbreaking my wife?s iPhone tomorrow and I will NOT be buying the iPhone that I had planned to buy until Apple gets an alternative to AT&T.

My wife bought our kids each an $80 AT&T phone to replace their pre-paid AT&T Go phones. The younger son decided he didn?t want to replace his old phone, so she took the unopened, unactivated phone back to the AT&T store. They said there was a $35 ?restocking charge? for returning the $80 phone. When my wife asked why they hadn?t told her about the restocking charge before she bought the phones they said the notice about that is clearly printed on the back of the receipt. Never mind that the receipt isn?t available to read until after you?ve bought the phone. They then said that if she hadn?t left the store with the phone they could have taken the phone back without the restocking charge, but that since she had left the store with the phone there was nothing they could do. Of course, this simply demonstrates that had they WANTED to they could have given her a full refund, and it wasn?t really ?out of their hands?.

It gets better. Not being one to take abuse without a fight, my wife then stood outside the store attempting to sell the unopened phone to passersby, explaining about the restocking charge and why she was trying to resell the phone. The manager of the AT&T store then approached her saying he was going to call the mall security guard if she didn?t leave. Her response was to call the guard herself and ask how far she needed to be from the AT&T store to be legal. The guard advised her that it wasn?t permitted to sell anything on mall property without a lease agreement. My wife then went to see the mall manager, who ended up buying the phone from her at the original retail price.

AT&T will never see another dime from us?EVER! No matter what! For any product or service! I am an Apple investor, and I will oppose any further dependence or association with AT&T for Apple. Apple is a reputable company. AT&T are simply pirates out to rape the public at every opportunity. Die, AT&T, just die!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
wow. never seen one of these threads before
why people come here and waste their time and efforts in doing this, i'll never know.
just do it and get it over with already.

dbjaime3

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I read your post and I understand your need to vent. I feel this way with large companies from time to time and I too post on boards, and email the company on why I am leaving, it makes me feel better.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
<rant>

Dude, you're going to find out that all carriers suck in customer service....at least the ones in the U.S. do. I've rarely been in a any phone store where it did not take me 2hrs or more to get a new phone or some kind of service.

If I could leave you a box of tissues, I would. But since I can't, I'll tell you that nobody cares what your whining about cause most of us have already experienced similar problems.

Be a man, grow up, stop crying, and stop letting your kids make decisions involving $80 phones.

</rant>

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
We are completely fed up with AT&T. We will be jailbreaking my wife?s iPhone tomorrow and I will NOT be buying the iPhone that I had planned to buy until Apple gets an alternative to AT&T.

My wife bought our kids each an $80 AT&T phone to replace their pre-paid AT&T Go phones. The younger son decided he didn?t want to replace his old phone, so she took the unopened, unactivated phone back to the AT&T store. They said there was a $35 ?restocking charge? for returning the $80 phone. When my wife asked why they hadn?t told her about the restocking charge before she bought the phones they said the notice about that is clearly printed on the back of the receipt. Never mind that the receipt isn?t available to read until after you?ve bought the phone. They then said that if she hadn?t left the store with the phone they could have taken the phone back without the restocking charge, but that since she had left the store with the phone there was nothing they could do. Of course, this simply demonstrates that had they WANTED to they could have given her a full refund, and it wasn?t really ?out of their hands?.

It gets better. Not being one to take abuse without a fight, my wife then stood outside the store attempting to sell the unopened phone to passersby, explaining about the restocking charge and why she was trying to resell the phone. The manager of the AT&T store then approached her saying he was going to call the mall security guard if she didn?t leave. Her response was to call the guard herself and ask how far she needed to be from the AT&T store to be legal. The guard advised her that it wasn?t permitted to sell anything on mall property without a lease agreement. My wife then went to see the mall manager, who ended up buying the phone from her at the original retail price.

AT&T will never see another dime from us?EVER! No matter what! For any product or service! I am an Apple investor, and I will oppose any further dependence or association with AT&T for Apple. Apple is a reputable company. AT&T are simply pirates out to rape the public at every opportunity. Die, AT&T, just die!

Write a letter to AT&T and mail it (not email). Worked for me. They responded after a month or so and made things right with 2 free months. Don't be nasty but just explain why you're upset.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It's the store that really didn't know how to properly handle your complaint. You should have just taken it to AT&T management by either calling the service line or written them a letter. They would've made things right if escalated to the right folks within the organization. The employees of the store don't give a rats arse about customer service, as it's not their reputation at stake.

I had an employee at an At&t store tell me once to keep the receipt for my purchase of an iPhone case because I could return it for up to a year if it was defective for any reason. It all depends on who happens to be working at the store. Sorry to hear about your experience, but it could've happened at any carrier's store. The store you went to just happened to suck.

animalhouseusa

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
All carriers charge a restocking fee. The salesperson should have told but most will not because they want the sell and the commission. I have only been with AT&T a couple of months and they did say I could return the phones in 30 days but never mentioned the restock fee but I knew this was there.

plevine1

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Forget about the issue with customer service. I can deal with those "people". I have greater issues with ATT weak cell service.

Never had a problem with Verizon. That new Droid is making me think......

Zeke

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
<rant>

Dude, you're going to find out that all carriers suck in customer service....at least the ones in the U.S. do. I've rarely been in a any phone store where it did not take me 2hrs or more to get a new phone or some kind of service.

If I could leave you a box of tissues, I would. But since I can't, I'll tell you that nobody cares what your whining about cause most of us have already experienced similar problems.

Be a man, grow up, stop crying, and stop letting your kids make decisions involving $80 phones.

</rant>

So that's your definition of being a man? Sitting on your rump and letting some minimum wage loser mistreat your wife while you do nothing? After I've made as much noise as possible around the internet I'm going back into that store and "discuss" the situation with the manager. You can bet he'll be peeing down his leg before I'm done. "Be a man...", indeed. You might try it sometime.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
So that's your definition of being a man? Sitting on your rump and letting some minimum wage loser mistreat your wife while you do nothing? After I've made as much noise as possible around the internet I'm going back into that store and "discuss" the situation with the manager. You can bet he'll be peeing down his leg before I'm done. "Be a man...", indeed. You might try it sometime.

Somebody needs a hug.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Move to Canada and come on Rogers, I have had nothing but happiness and success from them. Apart from the mad rates I pay for my iPhone, which is around 110 a month.

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I understand and it is crap. My iPhone was broke the second I bought it. The ATT store would not replace it. They said go talk to Apple. I literally just bought it.

Kudu's to your wife for objecting without getting hauled away by the cops.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site

Mistreat your wife? Did he slap her around a few times? I must have missed that in your post.

The sales person was doing their job, and most carriers charge a restocking fee on returns.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I've had some bad experiences with AT&T and Verizon.. the only carrier that had good customer service with me was Sprint..

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I think we're all missing the real point here, which is: AT&T allows you to buy $80.00 iPhones and use them without a contract on a Go plan?! That is stellar!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your issues and you should be upset, but for me, no issues here. Solid 3G coverage, 850 Mhz spectrum, good customer service when I needed it, and great data speeds:

0e1b7b50.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77