Iphone 5 Black screen which Vibrates only when plugged In

dariowales

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Heres one for you.

yesterday i had a friends iphone 5 for repair. It was pretty badly damaged. Smashed screen/ the phone wouldnt turn on / charge power button jammed ...

I decided to give it a go as i haven't attempted a iphone 5 power button before.

I replaced the charging port. I also replaced the power cable flex. Using the old smashed screen i reassembled and everything worked great... The phone charged and powered up the power button worked perfectly and the only problem left to solve was the screen.

I replaced this screen like i have with many other iphone 5 . however the phone turned on but had white vertical lines along the top of the screen which made the top part of the screen unresponsive. i removed the screen and reconnected making sure all connections were fully in place which they are and now i am getting absolutely no response. The phone wont turn on its just a black screen. I plug the charger in and the phone vibrates and repeats this vibration every couple of seconds.

Any Ideas what is causing this? there seems to be a few instances of this online. people having the same problem and a mixture of diagnosis. Some are saying its the screen connections / the screen itself. Some say its water damage (however this is not possible) some say the battery

Has anyone else experienced this or have any knowledge on this and willing to help me please?

Any Help much appreciated as usual!!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Wow, all sorts of problems...

I normally is not the repair tech here, but hopefully someone be comment on your thread and provide some solid help for you.

Good luck!

dariowales

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Fingers crossed mate. Im going to try my iphone 5 screen in his phone later... hopefully if that works its the screen. Ill soon find out.

Would be great if someone could point me straight in the right direction though :)

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Heres one for you.

yesterday i had a friends iphone 5 for repair. It was pretty badly damaged. Smashed screen/ the phone wouldnt turn on / charge power button jammed ...

I decided to give it a go as i haven't attempted a iphone 5 power button before.

I replaced the charging port. I also replaced the power cable flex. Using the old smashed screen i reassembled and everything worked great... The phone charged and powered up the power button worked perfectly and the only problem left to solve was the screen.

I replaced this screen like i have with many other iphone 5 . however the phone turned on but had white vertical lines along the top of the screen which made the top part of the screen unresponsive. i removed the screen and reconnected making sure all connections were fully in place which they are and now i am getting absolutely no response. The phone wont turn on its just a black screen. I plug the charger in and the phone vibrates and repeats this vibration every couple of seconds.

Any Ideas what is causing this? there seems to be a few instances of this online. people having the same problem and a mixture of diagnosis. Some are saying its the screen connections / the screen itself. Some say its water damage (however this is not possible) some say the battery

Has anyone else experienced this or have any knowledge on this and willing to help me please?

Any Help much appreciated as usual!!

Sounds like a bad digitizer to me. Do you have another iPhone 5 you can pull the screen off of to test? Also, try unplugging the battery for a few minutes and plugging it back in. If none of that works, try a DFU restore with the new screen attached.

And if it STILL doesn't work, it's possible the device got turned on during the repair and the backlight coil got blown on the board. If that's the case, there's probably not much you can do :\

dariowales

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a bad digitizer to me. Do you have another iPhone 5 you can pull the screen off of to test? Also, try unplugging the battery for a few minutes and plugging it back in. If none of that works, try a DFU restore with the new screen attached.

And if it STILL doesn't work, it's possible the device got turned on during the repair and the backlight coil got blown on the board. If that's the case, there's probably not much you can do :\

Thanks Ally. I am going to try a different screen shortly. Fingers crossed its only the digitizer. He was only going to throw out the phone anyway but would be a shame to lose what could have potentially been a working iphone 5.

ill let you know how i get on.

Zoolieo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I had exactly the same issue after replacing my screen. I solved it by detaching the battery to make sure the phone was off, then reconnecting the screen before reattaching the battery and powering up the phone. This issue was a bad connection or perhaps no connection between the body an screen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2