My first attempt at fixing iPhone

Newbie4Life

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

I've bought a broken iPhone 4 from eBay to treat as project to see if I can get it working.

The phone was described in the following condition:

"Phone will not power on or charge, Worked perfectly up until Yesterday and now will not turn on."

I've been doing some reading, and I think the first thing to do would be to try a new battery. Is it possible to do a swap with my existing (and used) iPhone 4 battery or will this play havoc with my actual phone? It would seem a good idea to slave it in before I buy one?

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well before buying it I would recommend getting a broken one from a friend or family member as you don't wanna spend like 50-100$ on a broken iPhone just to learn that you have no idea how to fix it but if you can't then buy it, as for the problem here it seems more like an issue with the ribbon cable just remove the casing and the protective plastic then just slide it back into place (buying a new battery wouldn't hurt anyone either but you may need to buy a new ribbon cable made for iPhones), one more thing NEVER and I mean never use your own parts for repairing someone else's phone even if you did buy it you may break something, take this from one iPhone/Android phone repair man to another, its a bad idea, it's better to buy your own from eBay cause it will be a pain in the *** to fix something up when you can't tell what you might have messed up on your working phone cause everything is so small.

Tapin and talkin from my iPhone

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If it is your first time and don't know what you are doing, It might be cheaper for you to take it to a store that specializes in this in your area.

Newbie4Life

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys.

OK I wont use my own parts: I thought there may be an issue there!

My theory is, if I can't sell it, I'll just put it back on eBay, so I'm not worried about a loss.

I wont take it to a shop to fix as the reason I'm doing this is as a project, something to get my teeth into. I'm from an engineering background, so this is a new little challenge which will hopefully be manageable.

Sounds like good advise in stripping it down and checking the integrity of the ribbon cable before I buy anything.

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

OK I wont use my own parts: I thought there may be an issue there!

My theory is, if I can't sell it, I'll just put it back on eBay, so I'm not worried about a loss.

I wont take it to a shop to fix as the reason I'm doing this is as a project, something to get my teeth into. I'm from an engineering background, so this is a new little challenge which will hopefully be manageable.

Sounds like good advise in stripping it down and checking the integrity of the ribbon cable before I buy anything.

Cheers to you! This is something I've always been interested in but never could afford to do so. I've tried with no luck buying cheap broken iPhone 2Gs to see if I can fix them. Unfortunately have come to the conclusion I suck at this and am just wasting money. With your background though I'm sure you'd have much better luck in doing so than I have. I always thought knowing how to do stuff like this would be fun and also be benificial to me and my friends in the end to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2