Apple Watch Battery Drain

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, I got an iPhone SE and wanted to use that with my Apple Watch. I first unpaired and then re-paired it to the new phone but for other reasons, ended up totally resetting the phone and setting it up again and restoring the watch from backup.

Today, I had the AW off charger at 8:40am and with normal usage, I was under 10% by 4:30pm. I put the watch on the charger when I got home from work and let it charge to 50%. It is now at 36% just strapped to my wrist with no usage about 1.5 hrs off the charger.

That is crazy drainage and nowhere near the 18 hour battery life, which is already pretty dismal.

Has anyone seen this when moving their watches to another iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, I got an iPhone SE and wanted to use that with my Apple Watch. I first unpaired and then re-paired it to the new phone but for other reasons, ended up totally resetting the phone and setting it up again and restoring the watch from backup.

Today, I had the AW off charger at 8:40am and with normal usage, I was under 10% by 4:30pm. I put the watch on the charger when I got home from work and let it charge to 50%. It is now at 36% just strapped to my wrist with no usage about 1.5 hrs off the charger.

That is crazy drainage and nowhere near the 18 hour battery life, which is already pretty dismal.

Has anyone seen this when moving their watches to another iPhone?
I've used my Watch with an iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S and an iPhone 6S Plus, but I've yet to experience what you did with regard to battery drainage.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've only experienced that kind of drain on watch OS 3 but not 2.2.1. That battery was solid.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Always as new...:)

I may have to set mine up as new if this problem persists. I've also noticed that every text I reply to from my AW has come back with a message not delivered error ... Even though the texts were delivered just fine. I think I finally resolved that issue. This is annoying. You'd think you could switch between multiple devices without this much hassle.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I may have to set mine up as new if this problem persists. I've also noticed that every text I reply to from my AW has come back with a message not delivered error ... Even though the texts were delivered just fine. I think I finally resolved that issue. This is annoying. You'd think you could switch between multiple devices without this much hassle.

Set it up as new last night and just finished my morning run. I'm usually sitting around 80-85% after my workouts. Today, 75%. Not a good start. Hopefully things level out today and I get more than 8 hrs of battery.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Eyecrispy, I have had the exact same experience even on the same day. I just reset my Apple Watch and iPhone SE and installed them without using backups. My feeling tells me it did not solve my problem..but I give it a day. The only difference is that after a few hours after installing the Phone my Watch showed a black screen and didn't respond anymore. Did a hard reset and after that the troubles began :(

This morning I had contact with Apple and they haven't seen this issue before. When resetting both watch and phone does not solve the issue I have to bring it to Apple and they will have a look at it.

Hopefully it will be solved soon.

Ren?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Eyecrispy, I have had the exact same experience even on the same day. I just reset my Apple Watch and iPhone SE and installed them without using backups. My feeling tells me it did not solve my problem..but I give it a day. The only difference is that after a few hours after installing the Phone my Watch showed a black screen and didn't respond anymore. Did a hard reset and after that the troubles began :(

This morning I had contact with Apple and they haven't seen this issue before. When resetting both watch and phone does not solve the issue I have to bring it to Apple and they will have a look at it.

Hopefully it will be solved soon.

Ren?

Rene, sorry you have to deal with this as well. I've already done everything you've done. I'm just two hours into wearing this thing for the day and my battery is already down to 79% --- and this is after I set it up as new last night just before bed. I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the SE. I have an appt at the Genius Bar for next Tuesday, but may try to stop in this weekend to see if they are willing to look at it.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I just talked to someone (chat) from Apple and they also said I should visit a store. The person who helped me had also an SE en Watch and did not recognize this problem. My Wife will get het SE next week, she is not happy hearing this ;)

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I just talked to someone (chat) from Apple and they also said I should visit a store. The person who helped me had also an SE en Watch and did not recognize this problem. My Wife will get het SE next week, she is not happy hearing this ;)

I'm gonna swing by tonight to see if they'll look at it. My appt isn't until Tuesday and I really don't want to deal with this until then. So I've been off the charger 8.5 hours and my watch is now at 18% with normal use. This is crazy.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! I might have found something...i'm testing it right now and keep you informed. Last night I saw the Motion and Fitness tracking was enabled on my iPhone SE. I disabled it, turned my Apple Watch off and let it charge the whole night. This morning I started wearing the Watch and my first impression is that is is way better....Let's see if it comes back to the old situation. I let you know tomorrow.

To disable this setting on the iPhone SE : How to Enable (or Disable) Motion & Fitness Tracking with iPhone | OSXDaily

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi ! I might have found something...i'm testing it right now and keep you informed. Last night I saw the Motion and Fitness tracking was enabled on my iPhone SE. I disabled it, turned my Apple Watch off and let it charge the whole night. This morning I started wearing the Watch and my first impression is that is is way better....Let's see if it comes back to the old situation. I let you know tomorrow.

To disable this setting on the iPhone SE : How to Enable (or Disable) Motion & Fitness Tracking with iPhone | OSXDaily

Thanks. My motion and fitness was not turned on. I do turn it on here and there when I leave my Fitbit at home on accident but have not see this impact my AW battery life with my 6S. The battery has bee extremely poor with or without this turned on with the SE. I did to Apple Store last night but was too far down the wait list to see them. Gonna stop in today when they open. Let me know how your theory works out for you.

anovelli

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I just got a watch and didn't pay much attention in my eagerness to get it set up. It ended up installing every watch app that was available for the several hundred apps I have on my iPhone 6. Ugh. I charged it partially that night, next day it died quickly. I uninstalled nearly all the non-stock apps, and I got about half a day out of a full charge. Yesterday I reset the watch completely, unpaired, re-paired (thankfully it retained my deselected states for non-stock apps), and charged it to 100%. It's about 20 hrs later and I still have 55% and had about an hour workout it tracked and I used Pillow (a sleep tracking app) overnight. Novice mistake. I'll monitor after installing each app going forward.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Currently 4 hours of wearing the device, only 8 percent battery usage so far :yes:

Great to hear! My watch miraculously seems to be fine today. I'm about 4 hours off the charger and at 85%. Better than yesterday. I went ahead and took it to apple anyway and they did a diagnostic on both my watch and my SE and only found that I had a lot of app crashes. Offered to send the watch in for inspection but when asked what they'd inspect, he said they'd probably just wipe and do a factory reset. Umm. No thanks. I'll let it run the next few days and hope the battery goes back to normal.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Good to hear you also experience better results now :yes: My battery seems back to normal, it was fine yesterday with results I expected and seems fine today also. Hopefully it stays that way.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear you also experience better results now :yes: My battery seems back to normal, it was fine yesterday with results I expected and seems fine today also. Hopefully it stays that way.

Mine too. I've been off charger since around 8am and 12.5 hours later, I'm at 62%. That is much more in line with what I'm used to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77