Receive iMessage alerts on my Apple Watch when my phone is turned off.

jmecca09

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to record audio for my job and while I am recording audio, I turn off my phone completely. However there have been several times when I receive iMessages on my watch while my phone is turned off. This is a cool feature, but very unexpected. Can anyone explain this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to record audio for my job and while I am recording audio, I turn off my phone completely. However there have been several times when I receive iMessages on my watch while my phone is turned off. This is a cool feature, but very unexpected. Can anyone explain this?

No, I cannot, unfortunately...:)

jmecca09

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I knew it could do some limited things, but I haven't read anywhere that this was one of them. Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The watch can do some limited things on wifi by itself... this is one of them.

I just tried to "send" an iMessage reply via my Watch while my iPhone 6 Plus was in Airplane mode, but the message would not complete the send until I disabled airplane mode. I'll try to see if I can receive one in a moment.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd0443fb403

Apple Watch uses Bluetooth? wireless technology to connect to its paired iPhone and uses the iPhone for many wireless functions. Apple Watch can’t configure new Wi-Fi networks on its own, but it can connect to Wi-Fi networks you’ve set up on the paired iPhone.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone are on the same network but aren’t connected by Bluetooth, you can also do the following on Apple Watch without iPhone:

Send and receive messages using iMessage

Send and receive Digital Touch messages

Use Siri

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd0443fb403

Apple Watch uses Bluetooth? wireless technology to connect to its paired iPhone and uses the iPhone for many wireless functions. Apple Watch can’t configure new Wi-Fi networks on its own, but it can connect to Wi-Fi networks you’ve set up on the paired iPhone.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone are on the same network but aren’t connected by Bluetooth, you can also do the following on Apple Watch without iPhone:

Send and receive messages using iMessage

Send and receive Digital Touch messages

Use Siri

I'm going to have to tinker around with it a bit because I'm not able to make it happen at this point in time. I may have to unfair and then pair it again, but I'll do that later this afternoon....Thank for the info.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I experienced this while at the Apple Store and my new phone was being updated to the most recent OS. I was still able to receive and reply to iMessages on my watch, which was really nice, since I did not have a working phone at that moment.

The Apple employees did not even know this was possible, so this was news to all of us. The Apple Watch really is an amazing little device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Update: After un-pairing and then pairing my Watch, I was able to send and receive iMessages while disconnected from my iPhone via Bluetooth and while still connected to my Wi-Fi network.

Last edited:

Al Chang

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
If the Airplane mode is set to mirror the iphone on the watch, then setting the iPhone to Airplane also sets the watch to Airplane and you won't get text iMessages by wifi.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77