Display not consistently waking when wrist is raised...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So my wife brought me her watch last Friday and showed me that the raise to wake feature was not working consistently (I'd say about 6 out of 10 times it did not wake the watch when it was raised). I performed a hard reset on the watch and it began working properly again.

Today she came to me again and sure enough, it was doing the same thing (she knew how to restart it, but she wanted to show it to me again). Same exactly situation...about 6 out of 10 times it would not wake on it's own until it was restarted.

Anyone else experiencing this (even if it's less frequent)? We're considering taking it in for a replacement, but wanted to put a feeler out to see if anyone has noticed their watch not properly waking when raised.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not noticing this issue on my watch. It works pretty much every time I raise my wrist, unless I already had the face turned up.

Maf C

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah mine doesn't always wake up when raised, seems to depend on how far down it is prior to raising. Not bothered me to much, I either flick it, poke it or stick it on me nose ;-)

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah mine doesn't always wake up when raised, seems to depend on how far down it is prior to raising. Not bothered me to much, I either flick it, poke it or stick it on me nose ;-)

"I either flick it, poke it or stick it on me nose ;-) "

I nominate this reply for quote of the day. :gold-star:

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
It seems you have to kind of twist your wrist to activate the display most consistently. When I raise my arm it works "most" of the time, but when I twist my wrist it works every time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems you have to kind of twist your wrist to activate the display most consistently. When I raise my arm it works "most" of the time, but when I twist my wrist it works every time.

Yeah, unfortunately hers wouldn't awake regardless of how it was lifted or twisted. It hasn't done it in a few days so maybe it worked itself out...if not, thank god for warranties, right? :beer:

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Wrist raise to activate works flawlessly for me. I'd say it's 99% accurate. Only issue I have with this feature is when I'm laying down. For whatever reason it is very hit or miss when laying down.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My spouse reports that turning his wrist and raising his arm towards his face works virtually every time. Simply rotating the wrist is not enough.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately hers wouldn't awake regardless of how it was lifted or twisted. It hasn't done it in a few days so maybe it worked itself out...if not, thank god for warranties, right? :beer:

Now you just need your own to compare.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I turned it off to tap to wake it kept turning on and off in my car while driving

Yeah, depending on the position of your arm while driving, it will illuminate the screen. Still, it doesn't bother me because I get excellent battery life with my Watch.

Markmonta

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Are you using it on your left or right hand? I have a Watch Series 2 and it seems to be inconsistent when i switch the orientation to my right hand.

While on my left, it is much better at turning on when i move my wrist.

While on my right, slight movements of the wrist are not recognized and even some exaggerated wrist movements are not recognized.

So, I've decided to keep it on the my left hand instead.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So, I've decided to keep it on the my left hand instead.

Are you right or left-handed by nature? Which eye is your dominant eye?

I've found that the position of the Watch within a few seconds of checking it will determine whether or not it display wakes. I've noticed that if the Watch is within a certain range of angles close to the angle for reading the content, the display won't wake. There's just not enough rotation to wake the Watch.

As I'm right-handed, I'm writing, cutting, chopping etc and the odds that my Watch being in the ideal position would likely be slim with more chances for a failure to fire. That's my theory after some casual observation. There'll be no in-depth study, but this might be a consideration. Or not at all.

Mustangs Rule

Mar 9, 2019
Visit site
So my wife brought me her watch last Friday and showed me that the raise to wake feature was not working consistently (I'd say about 6 out of 10 times it did not wake the watch when it was raised). I performed a hard reset on the watch and it began working properly again.

Today she came to me again and sure enough, it was doing the same thing (she knew how to restart it, but she wanted to show it to me again). Same exactly situation...about 6 out of 10 times it would not wake on it's own until it was restarted.

Anyone else experiencing this (even if it's less frequent)? We're considering taking it in for a replacement, but wanted to put a feeler out to see if anyone has noticed their watch not properly waking when raised.

You need to turn of theater mode in the control center

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2