Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Default Re: Thoughts after first run (pt 1 & 2)

The half marathon went splendid, as did the usage of the workout app. My ET, Pace, and distance from the watch all match exactly against the chip timing for the race. Now if only apple had stats which would be announced through the headphones similar to other apps (as well as perhaps mapping) I'd be all set to switch right away to the workout app only.
    dianahk and PatrickNSF like this.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrucialTK View Post
    The half marathon went splendid, as did the usage of the workout app. My ET, Pace, and distance from the watch all match exactly against the chip timing for the race. Now if only apple had stats which would be announced through the headphones similar to other apps (as well as perhaps mapping) I'd be all set to switch right away to the workout app only.
    That's where the 3rd party apps, like Runkeeper or Endomondo, have the advantage now. Hopefully Apple will add those, and other features, to their app, but it will be a while.
    OneFretAway likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickNSF View Post
    Do you find the taptic feedback using the Workout app to be weak? I think it's supposed to give feedback each mile, but sometimes I can't feel it even if I'm watching the mile tick off to the next. I used the Prominent Haptic option for yesterday's run but it didn't seem to work in the Workout app, though it worked for other notifications.
    I have used the workout app twice on my runs and I don't always feel it. I am going to try both sound and the strong taptic and see if that helps. I am use to a noisy Garmin beep.
    iMore Beginner

The "Prominent Haptic" feature didn't affect the mile notifications during my last couple of runs. The regular notifications (messages, email) were affected. Hopefully, Apple will add support for this feature to the Workout app.

Ideally, it should be a countdown notification – 3 or 5 beeps before the mile marker – similar to Garmin's. But at this point I'd settle for stronger haptic feedback.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Seems like everyone is having similar experiences - I just did my first two runs using the stock app and a blue tooth chest heart rate strap. I couldn't figure out if the app actually pulled my heart rate from the strap I paired with my watch or if it was still using the sensor in the Watch. The first time I swiped the app screens it said checking my heart rate monitor and the screen kept going black so I gave up as this was the first block of my run.

I also have prominent haptic feedback set but didn't feel anything during my mile mark or even more likely it didn't register that it was acknowledging a mile and instead I thought I was ignoring an email notification. I'm also coming from a Pebble and it paired with Endomondo and a heart rate strap was better for me because of the always on screen and being able to customize what was displayed on the watch face. I also find physical buttons easier to use during runs, the side buttons to pause and resume is much easier than remembering to force touch the screen.

I'm not a huge runner so this was basically just messing around with the app for me but I could see why if I was training for a race or trying to improve my speed or pacing the stock apple app would be seriously lacking.

I feel like once I find an app (like mentioned above possibly mapmyfitness because of their myfitnesspal integration) I will just stick with it.

I'm definitely going to subscribe to this thread and see how your more serious runners end up recording your runs.
    PatrickNSF likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by kjparfekt View Post
    I also find physical buttons easier to use during runs, the side buttons to pause and resume is much easier than remembering to force touch the screen.
    I'd prefer a physical button for pause/resume, but I've gotten better this week with the force touch method. What I used to do with my Garmin was pause/resume while slowing down or speeding up (i.e., I could just do it by feel and audible confirmation). With the Watch, I need to take the second to physically stop and look at the screen. It's an annoyance, but not a deal breaker for me.

I've logged 44 running miles in the week I've had the Watch and am getting more comfortable using it for my daily runs. I still wish the displayed pace was more accurate (or I understood exactly what it meant).
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

I've been using "Other" to continue to track my P90X workouts. The heart sensor isn't always on the money. I did Cardio X today, which for those who haven't done the program, gets your heart rate up. My max is 180, min is 126 to be "in the zone". Well, at times it showed me at 65 bpm, when I was clearly well into the 140s or beyond. Then all of a sudden it would jump back up. I do have arm hair - do you think that's effecting it? Not thick hair, but normal dude hair.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #58  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickNSF View Post
    I'd prefer a physical button for pause/resume, but I've gotten better this week with the force touch method. What I used to do with my Garmin was pause/resume while slowing down or speeding up (i.e., I could just do it by feel and audible confirmation). With the Watch, I need to take the second to physically stop and look at the screen. It's an annoyance, but not a deal breaker for me.

I've logged 44 running miles in the week I've had the Watch and am getting more comfortable using it for my daily runs. I still wish the displayed pace was more accurate (or I understood exactly what it meant).
    I've found that between the stock app, runkeeper and Endomondo, the displayed pace(average and current) is most accurate with Endo. Takes a second for the display to refresh, but it's been spot on for me.
    impaler and dianahk like this.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs68 View Post
    I've found that between the stock app, runkeeper and Endomondo, the displayed pace(average and current) is most accurate with Endo. Takes a second for the display to refresh, but it's been spot on for me.
    I may stick with the Workout app until third party apps have HRM access. I like getting (what I hope is) a more accurate calorie burn number that using the HR provides.
    dianahk likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

I agree and hope with more use the workout app will become more familiar with me and my pace.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dianahk View Post
    I agree and hope with more use the workout app will become more familiar with me and my pace.
    It should - Apple says it gets better with time. Be sure to calibrate your Watch though, by doing at least 20 minutes walking/running outdoors with your iPhone. It will use the phone's GPS to figure out your pace. Vary your pace, and it will get even better.
    dianahk likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Default Re: Thoughts after running with the Watch, part 2

So I ran yesterday with the watch and used Runkeeper. It was ok, but I'm not crazy about the Runkeeper interface of the watch which is not customizable at all.
    Today I ran a 5 mile race with the Watch and used Endomondo. I'm not using the stock Apple Exercise app on the watch since it doesn't provide any real details on the run or mapping tools with the GPS.
    Endomondo is MUCH better than Runkeeper on the watch. I tweaked the interface so it had the fields I care most about up front (pace, average pace and distance), with secondary fields a swipe away.
    There are some definite limitations at this point though, and I think it's more with the Watch than Endomondo, and hopefully these will get fixed in an update. First, the watch had my distance at 4.8 miles after the race, and not 5, which it definitely should have been. I could ignore a few hundreds of a mile either way, but 2 tenths is way too much of a variance. Not sure if this is an issue with the Endomondo app or the GPS on the iPhone, but I always used to find the iPhone's GPS more accurate when I used to run with it.
    Also, when I want to look at my watch to check my pace or distance, especially in a race like today. I have to wait for the screen to wake up, which is pretty fast and no big deal, but then I need to wait for the app to show my current stats. when it woke up, it was still showing the stats from the last time I checked it and it had to refresh, which took a couple of seconds each time. This is a big deal. To have to keep your wrist up to wait for the screen to refresh will cause you to slow down and take your eyes off the road. Not good for any runner if you're trying to maintain a pace.
    Minor issues were the same as Runkeeper. Neither app is integrated with the Apple exercise app, so I don't get any taps on my wrist when I hit each mile. And the lack of integration with the heart sensor is also a major missed opportunity but I'd like to this that will get resolved with an update.
    Now I'm coming off using a Microsoft Band since October, and a Pebble before that (yes, I love my wearables). This is probably the one area the Band beats the watch, at least for now. Yes, the Band has a very accurate GPS built in, but I had the ability to keep the screen on throughout a run, which means it doesn't have to refresh the data. Even if I turned the screen off and then on again when I wanted to check my stats, the refresh was very quick. It would be better if there was a setting to keep the screen on without timing out. Yes it would eat the battery but I think most runners would want that. And speaking about the battery, I was pleasantly surprised. It was down to about 95% when I started the race, and after a little over 30 minutes with endomondo running and lots of data going between the watch & phone, it only dropped to 88% by the time I was done. I expected a bigger hit to the battery with a run like that.
    I'm hoping these issues get fixed with updates, because I really do like the Watch so far. I would also think Apple would update their exercise app to make it more full-featured and GPS-enabled.
    I'm glad to see another Apple user who's used the Microsoft Band! I've had my Band since November and really love the features, especially the built-in GPS. I used it during the Philly Marathon, and even with my five hour finish, the Band's battery lasted the whole way with GPS also bring solid.

That said, I'm curious as to whether the Apple Watch could hold up for the same amount of time, considering it doesn't have GPS built into it. Something tells me that it wouldn't, but what do you think? Also, does the lack of GPS in the Watch tax your phone's battery at all? I'm likely going to wait for version 2 of the Watch and hope that Apple incorporates GPS and better battery life, but I tried it on today and had to stop myself from ordering it as soon as I left the Apple Store.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #63  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

I'm finding that the watch's battery holds up very well during runs. I haven't done anything super long, but I did an 8 miler for a little under an hour and it only went down about 10%, so based on that I think it will last for something like a marathon. The 3rd party running apps are better than the stock running app but lack heart rate integration or taptic feedback.
    The Band's main advantage over the Watch is the built in GPS, but I think the Watch's 3rd party support will make up for that soon.
    impaler likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

I'm finding that the watch's battery holds up very well during runs. I haven't done anything super long, but I did an 8 miler for a little under an hour and it only went down about 10%, so based on that I think it will last for something like a marathon. The 3rd party running apps are better than the stock running app but lack heart rate integration or taptic feedback.
    The Band's main advantage over the Watch is the built in GPS, but I think the Watch's 3rd party support will make up for that soon.
    What's her name on Apple.com did a full marathon with her watch.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #65  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    What's her name on Apple.com did a full marathon with her watch.
    Turlington. Yeah she did it in about 4 hours. I've been very impressed with the battery life so far, especially when running. It's actually better than the Band's battery when running, but that's probably because of the on board GPS in the Band. I'm going to try a few long runs with the stock app and see how it goes considering the HRM. I'm hoping apps like Runkeeper and endo will start to integrate with the Watch's HRM and Taptic which I'm sure will happen soon.
    iMore Beginner

I'm going to try a few long runs with the stock app and see how it goes considering the HRM.
    I've done two 10-mile runs (approximately 85 minutes each) since having the watch using the Workout app and continuous HRM. The battery has gone down about 30% for each of these runs. I haven't run out of battery either of these days.

I don't have any full marathons scheduled until Chicago in October. Assuming a similar battery drain, I'll likely just top my battery off while showering after the marathon. I don't see needing do so for anything like a half marathon or below.
    iMore Newbie

Thanks for all of the feedback... Maybe I missed the answer, but I have one question:
    Runkeeper - I started my run, but when I went back to Check on my status, the clock came back up. Is there a way to make runkeeper STICK?
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WST88 View Post
    Thanks for all of the feedback... Maybe I missed the answer, but I have one question:
    Runkeeper - I started my run, but when I went back to Check on my status, the clock came back up. Is there a way to make runkeeper STICK?
    There's a setting to bring up the last app opened vs the watch face in the settings.
    WST88 likes this.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #69  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

I just went for a 5 mile outdoor run since updating to 1.01 yesterday. For the first 2 miles, pace & distance were spot-on. Then when I checked the stats at mile 3, it was off by a solid .15 of a mile, which is a lot. When I finished my 5, it was still off by .15. This of course screwed up the average pace, but the current pace throughout the run felt very accurate. Its possible it dropped the GPS signal somewhere between miles 2-3 (which I haven't seen happen with Endomondo or Runkeeper on the watch), so I'll try the same route tomorrow and see what happens.

The only thing I'd still like to see added for this to be my daily running app (if the distance is fixed) would be an average pace stat. Current pace is good and fine for shorter runs, but for long and training runs, average pace is a critical stat. Hope they add it soon.
    iMore Intermediate

I ran this morning after updating. The first mile was accurate, but then not so much. It is closer than it has been and the pace felt more accurate. Perhaps with time it will actually start to improve. *fingers crossed*
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

I just went for a 5 mile outdoor run since updating to 1.01 yesterday. For the first 2 miles, pace & distance were spot-on. Then when I checked the stats at mile 3, it was off by a solid .15 of a mile, which is a lot. When I finished my 5, it was still off by .15. This of course screwed up the average pace, but the current pace throughout the run felt very accurate. Its possible it dropped the GPS signal somewhere between miles 2-3 (which I haven't seen happen with Endomondo or Runkeeper on the watch), so I'll try the same route tomorrow and see what happens.

The only thing I'd still like to see added for this to be my daily running app (if the distance is fixed) would be an average pace stat. Current pace is good and fine for shorter runs, but for long and training runs, average pace is a critical stat. Hope they add it soon.
    Did you have your iPhone with you, and did you have a clear view of the sky?
    iMore Intermediate

I had my iPhone and a mostly clear sky. I wonder if my 5S gps is not up to par.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #73  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Yes and yes
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

Yes and yes
    I can't explain it. It's been perfectly fine for me, both with clouds and sun. I'd try restarting both devices and give it another shot. Apple makes it clear it should get more accurate with time - at least if you use the Workout app.
    iMore Intermediate

My main gripe with the Workout app at this point (other than the lack of Average Pace) is the fact that metric preferences are saved per-activity, but not per-goal. I personally always want Elapsed, Distance and Pace as my metrics. So if I do a distance run and set Elapsed/Distance (goal metric)/Pace, then do a free run, I get Elapsed/Elapsed (goal metric)/Pace, and end up having to swap the time metric from Elapsed to Pace, then the primary metric from Pace to Distance.

I suppose I'll just have to always do distance runs to avoid having to deal with this annoyance, even when I don't necessarily know how far I want to run that day.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast