what happens if you forget your icloud ID?

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi

We have a number of iPads we use for focus groups, iPads can be handy to get feedback in a confidential way instead of sheets of paper where their responses can be seen by other people.

Unfortunately the iPads get handled by all sorts of random people in our business and on occasions we found that somepeople from the focus group or our clients have accidently logged into the icloud on the iPad which automatically installs find my ipad and obviously locks the iPads onto the icloud forever unless the icloud account owner logs out or remotely unpairs the iPad.

Now, is there anything we can do as a business to mitigate this? Can we install some sort of security certificate on which prevents/disables iCloud?

We dont want to login to icloud as it creates privacy issues as the iPad can be tracked.

Furthermore can we get the iPad serials registered to us so that we can take the iPad instore to get the iclouds unlocked and reset for our use? I would have thought that owning a receipt will allow us to do this, but have found that not even the apple store receips have identifying serial numbers

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi

We have a number of iPads we use for focus groups, iPads can be handy to get feedback in a confidential way instead of sheets of paper where their responses can be seen by other people.

Unfortunately the iPads get handled by all sorts of random people in our business and on occasions we found that somepeople from the focus group or our clients have accidently logged into the icloud on the iPad which automatically installs find my ipad and obviously locks the iPads onto the icloud forever unless the icloud account owner logs out or remotely unpairs the iPad.
Nope. A person has to enable iCloud on the device, sign in using their own Apple ID and passcode and then purposely enable the Find My iPhone/iPad/Mac option.

Now, is there anything we can do as a business to mitigate this? Can we install some sort of security certificate on which prevents/disables iCloud?
You can login to iCloud using the alleged business's Apple ID and passcode on ALL of the iPad devices and then enable restrictions to prevent the account from being changed.

We dont want to login to icloud as it creates privacy issues as the iPad can be tracked.
Why is that a bad thing? I'd like to think that your business would want to be able to track the devices in case of theft.

Furthermore can we get the iPad serials registered to us so that we can take the iPad instore to get the iclouds unlocked and reset for our use? I would have thought that owning a receipt will allow us to do this, but have found that not even the apple store receips have identifying serial numbers
The Apple Configurator app may be useful to you.

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Nope. A person has to enable iCloud on the device, sign in using their own Apple ID and passcode and then purposely enable the Find My iPhone/iPad/Mac option.

Nope Nope. Mr expert. If the user updates the iOS or resets the device then sometimes it runs through the setup procedure all over again, asking for wifi, siri, etc. It then asks you to sign in (most novices dont know that there is an option at the bottom to skip this). They sometimes enter their own ID and then it signs in to app store and icloud. When you sign in with iCloud it now automatially enables find my iPad.

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for thje suggestion regarding Apple configurator. I dont have a Mac to use it but the good thing is I might be able to convince work to buy one for me :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope Nope. Mr expert. If the user updates the iOS or resets the device then sometimes it runs through the setup procedure all over again, asking for wifi, siri, etc. It then asks you to sign in (most novices dont know that there is an option at the bottom to skip this). They sometimes enter their own ID and then it signs in to app store and icloud. When you sign in with iCloud it now automatially enables find my iPad.

That's not the fault of the alleged "novice", but the fault of the company for not restricting those things. If you, as a company, are going to issue devices to your employees, take the necessary steps to prevent such occurrences by using the restrictions and/or the Apple Configurator.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I think you mean " restore" rather than "reset".

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I think you mean " restore" rather than "reset".

Im sure you've done a software update at one point and the iPad has gone through the process of asking you for all the details like you are configuring the iPad for the first time.

enter wifi details
do you want passcode (smallprint: skip this step)
do you want siri (smallprint: skip this step)
enter your icloud (smallprint: skip this step)

etc

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Buying a apple laptop has been overruled due to budgets. WHat would be the lowest price device I can buy that will allow me to use apple configurator? I was thinking of buying a second hand imac that's from the 2009 era. they go for quite cheap on ebay: imac | eBay

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

You can login to iCloud using the alleged business's Apple ID and passcode on ALL of the iPad devices and then enable restrictions to prevent the account from being changed.

Why is that a bad thing? I'd like to think that your business would want to be able to track the devices in case of theft.

The Apple Configurator app may be useful to you.

Seems like we're using icloud as a convenient method to overshadow the main reason for security, but backing it up by saying u can track your phone, so it's useful at the same time.

I dunno about you, convience and security should not mix... ever...... If u really care about security that is..

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Seems like we're using icloud as a convenient method to overshadow the main reason for security, but backing it up by saying u can track your phone, so it's useful at the same time.

I dunno about you, convience and security should not mix... ever...... If u really care about security that is..

Oh, I'm with you there. Security and convenience do NOT mix, yet, because a good deal of us are lazy and impatient, convenience with basic "protection" trumps security. For those who are unaware of the difference between protection and security, protection is being "defended from" whereas security is being free from danger or threat. In other words, blocking punches vs not having them thrown at all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2