Apple Pulls Latest Apple Watch Update After Bricking Some Models

1daniel

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Apple pulled the new WatchOS 3.1.1 on Tuesday, following reports the update bricked some Series 2 Apple Watches after the software installed.

WatchOS 3.1.1 is no longer available for download from the watch app on the iPhone, with WatchOS 3.1 listed as the most recent update for those who had not already download and installed 3.1.1.

After installing the WatchOS 3.1.1, Some Apple Watch Series 2 owners had their devices bricked. Affected Apple Watches are displaying a red exclamation mark on the screen.

Now, the iPhone’s software update utility lists WatchOS 3.1 as the most recent update for Apple Watches.

Without apps, the Apple Watch is nothing more than a overvalued timepiece Here’s every app we know of coming to the device.
Resetting the Apple Watch has not worked for customers who have had their watches bricked by WatchOS 3.1.1, and replacement Apple Watches will be required.

Apple retail locations cannot service Apple Watches in store, because access to the diagnostic port is required.

Users whose Series 2 Apple Watches bricked aren’t able to reset the smartwatches, reports MacRumors. It’s likely replacement Apple Watches will be needed, as affected units display a red exclamation mark on the screen that instruct them to visit Apple’s websites. We have reached out to Apple for comment. Apple released WatchOS 3.1.1 earlier this week with bug fixes. Alongside Ios 10.2.

WatchOS 3.1.1 will likely be made available again once the bug is cleared up. Customers with an Apple Watch bricked by watchOS 3.1.1 should visit an Apple retail store or contact Apple support.

Last edited by a moderator:

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I was about to post about the update and then saw this. No matter what I do it says that the update can't be verified because I'm not connected to the internet. Is it because it was pulled, then? If so, why doesn't the update go away??

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It seems the issue with 3.1.1 is with the installation process. If you upgraded and everything is working okay, then great. If you haven't upgraded yet, don't.