To upgrade or not with Verizon changing data

Arbor12

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I love my iPhone 4 and was looking forward to getting the new iPhone when it comes out later this year. Now with Verizon taking away unlimited data I'm not sure if I want to upgrade my phone and lose the unlimited data. I stream radio 4 days a week at work for about 10hrs each day and always on the Internet. My upgrade is due in June. What do you think should I do, get the new iPhone and lose the unlimited or stay with my current iPhone and keep the unlimited. I also thought about upgrading to the 4s to get more memory, right now I have the 16g iPhone 4 and wanted more memory for my next phone.

Thanks,
Nick

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I think there are a couple things you need to think about. 1) How much data are you using each month? Log into My Verizon and look at your usage for the last few months. 2) How often is WiFi available to you? Are you able to connect at work?

Right now Verizon is offering 4 gigs of data (LTE devices only), but I'm not sure how long that will last (just "food for thought" when looking at your usage). Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preferences and what you are willing to sacrifice for a new phone. Based on the past, iOS 6 should be available on iPhone 4, 4S and 5/6. It's hard to advise one way or another when I don't have to live with the choice haha.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to continue streaming audio for that amount of time, you might have to stay with what you've got, however, if your monthly data usage is within the acceptable amount of one the tiered data plans then upgrade and get the data plan that coincides with your usage.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Or start saving now and pay full retail for the new iPhone...that way you'd have the newest phone but wouldn't lose unlimited data. Myself, I'm not too concerned...we have three lines with data plans, so that's $90/month for data. All together we use maybe 3gb/month...so if they end up charging around $50-$60 for 5gb then that would actually be better for me.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Or start saving now and pay full retail for the new iPhone...that way you'd have the newest phone but wouldn't lose unlimited data. Myself, I'm not too concerned...we have three lines with data plans, so that's $90/month for data. All together we use maybe 3gb/month...so if they end up charging around $50-$60 for 5gb then that would actually be better for me.

This is the same case with my family plan. We wanted to get my Mum an iPhone but her data usage is minimal. Once the tiered data hits, I'll have no problem dropping my unlimited data plan when I upgrade because she uses a half gig max and I'll be able to use basically all of the data available (which will be MORE than enough to cover my usage).

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm in that boat too lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I am unlimited now however I want to upgrade to iPhone 5. I pay approx $230 now for unlimited all lines. I can pay the same but only have 2G for my line which stinks. What is cost for 3G?

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
There is no separate rate for 3g...data is data, just depends on your location as to what type of connection you will get (3g or 4g).

sent using my Galaxy S3

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I mean 3 gigs of data. I want to upgrade, but will use another line on my account and transfer that upgrade to my line and get the phone. Does that mean the line I transferred from becomes pay per Gb or does the line I am actually using the upgrade on, my own, become pay per Gb?

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about that... Might wanna call and double check first. If I do upgrade, I will just switch the to share plan 10gb plan and suck it up and pay a little more so I won't be limited to 2gb.

sent using my Galaxy S3

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, need to check. Right now I pay $230 month for All lines with tax all inclusive. For the 8 Gb share plan it is like $260 or so before tax. Ugh!

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you and I are around the same... The 10gb plan would be 40-50 more a month for me. Keep in mind that LTE doesbuse more data... I don't know why but it does. I average around 2gb a month now vs around 1gb when i had my iPhone.

sent using my Galaxy S3

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I mean 3 gigs of data. I want to upgrade, but will use another line on my account and transfer that upgrade to my line and get the phone. Does that mean the line I transferred from becomes pay per Gb or does the line I am actually using the upgrade on, my own, become pay per Gb?

The line that yeas the upgrade will lose unlimited cuz that's the line u sign a new contact for what line u put the new phone on after than is just like paying full retail so if u take that phone to Amy other line your unlimited stays

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The line that yeas the upgrade will lose unlimited cuz that's the line u sign a new contact for what line u put the new phone on after than is just like paying full retail so if u take that phone to Amy other line your unlimited stays

So you are saying the line I get the upgrade from goes to limited even though I use the phone on another line?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you and I are around the same... The 10gb plan would be 40-50 more a month for me. Keep in mind that LTE doesbuse more data... I don't know why but it does. I average around 2gb a month now vs around 1gb when i had my iPhone.

sent using my Galaxy S3

Yeah, it's 290 for 10gb in my case. I get 20% off, but that is just the main line, so that would be I guess 20% off of $40 and then 20% off of the monthly data of $100? If so, that is $28.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2