Wiping phone and reinstalling backup to delete residual junk

bluegreen1965

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice regarding doing a factory reset to clear out deleted app junk etc.
1) Is this even necessary?
2) If so how often?
3) If I always do software updates through iTunes (ie loads the whole iOS), does this essentially do the same thing?

I'm using a 6s, purchased April 2016.
Many thanks.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's not necessary unless you find your device slowing down or using more battery than usual

iOS updates when installed will clear out most of the junk data you are speaking about so just enjoy your device

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice regarding doing a factory reset to clear out deleted app junk etc.
1) Is this even necessary?
2) If so how often?
3) If I always do software updates through iTunes (ie loads the whole iOS), does this essentially do the same thing?

I'm using a 6s, purchased April 2016.
Many thanks.

A factory reset in the manner I think you're using is the same as going to Settings→ General→ Reset, and then selecting "Erase All Contents and Settings". Having said that, it is not the same reinstalling a fresh copy of iOS. Anyway, unless you're having problems with your device, you don't really "need" to perform a factory reset, in my opinion. Yet, I put my device in DFU mode and have iTunes download and install a fresh copy of iOS with every new full version. For ex., 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3. Why? It's my personal preference and I like how my device runs after the procedure. I also think it has kept me from experiencing many of the issues others have reported, but I can't prove it.

bluegreen1965

May 29, 2015
Visit site
A factory reset in the manner I think you're using is the same as going to Settings→ General→ Reset, and then selecting "Erase All Contents and Settings". Having said that, it is not the same reinstalling a fresh copy of iOS. Anyway, unless you're having problems with your device, you don't really "need" to perform a factory reset, in my opinion. Yet, I put my device in DFU mode and have iTunes download and install a fresh copy of iOS with every new full version. For ex., 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3. Why? It's my personal preference and I like how my device runs after the procedure. I also think it has kept me from experiencing many of the issues others have reported, but I can't prove it.

Does DFU (Don't F*#$ Up??) mode = Airplane mode? Sounds like I can continue as I've been doing things and do not need to fuss with a wipe. Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does DFU (Don't F*#$ Up??) mode = Airplane mode? Sounds like I can continue as I've been doing things and do not need to fuss with a wipe. Thanks!

(Laughing)....Dude, you're killing me. ...Anyway, DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode is not the same as placing the device in Airplane mode, and you're right. You can continue doing the things you've been doing...

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I did a reset on my phone on New Year's Day. My phone previously had 980mb free.

By the time I'd finished setting up as a new phone and reinstalling my apps and adding my email I had 6.2GB free!

That's a lot of space wasted that I managed to reclaim

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Some times I do this with my 7 plus. The only reason I have is that there are some games that you delete and then re install and you can't start over. I know it sounds ridiculous but it seems to work.

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't often reset my iPhone simply because I have to go back in to adjust all of my personal settings, passwords, and preferences. When I do, though, it is somewhat refreshing. It feels like doing spring cleaning on my iPhone. I have to manually reinstall every single app that I use, which means I will be less likely to install apps that I never use. Right now, on my iPhone SE, which I've never restored, I have 181 apps. I know I don't use all 181 of them. If I decide to restore it, it'll probably drop down below 100. If you decide to restore your iPhone, keep in mind that you'll have to log back into everything, redownload music, movies, and photos, and go back in to change your settings to your preferences (like notifications, screen brightness, ringtones, keyboard preferences, etc.). It makes your iPhone feel new again, but getting back to where you want to be takes a lot of time and patience.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RowanJack