Will the 2018 iPhone X be 5G proof?

SRickel

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I held off buying the iPhone X because my next phone needs to last at least 3 years. Will the 2018 iPhone X plus be 5G proof? Obviously you don’t have a crystal ball but I’m curious if anyone has an insite.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I held off buying the iPhone X because my next phone needs to last at least 3 years. Will the 2018 iPhone X plus be 5G proof? Obviously you don’t have a crystal ball but I’m curious if anyone has an inside.

I wouldn’t bet my money on it.
5G is far from standardized and reality. Apple will follow how 5G develops over the years and act accordingly.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I held off buying the iPhone X because my next phone needs to last at least 3 years.
Why wouldn't the current iPhone X last 3 years?
Will the 2018 iPhone X plus be 5G proof? Obviously you don’t have a crystal ball but I’m curious if anyone has an insite.
Not that I'm aware of.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I held off buying the iPhone X because my next phone needs to last at least 3 years. Will the 2018 iPhone X plus be 5G proof? Obviously you don’t have a crystal ball but I’m curious if anyone has an inside.

I here you. My 7 Plus has lasted almost 2 years and I could probably get another year out of it, but I'm upgrading this year as well and I want my next iPhone to last three or more years also. Personally my days of yearly upgrades have come to an end. I not to sure about it having 5G, but I hope it has the ability to be relevant for at least three years.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018
Visit site
I don't really think that the next iPhone will be 5G proof to be honest, since it's still in the works it's pretty hard to say but I am pretty sure once 5G is standardized then they'll have a new device by that time.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I held off buying the iPhone X because my next phone needs to last at least 3 years. Will the 2018 iPhone X plus be 5G proof? Obviously you don’t have a crystal ball but I’m curious if anyone has an insite.

Good morning, @SRickel. Welcome to iMore.

Like all the rest have said, I wouldn't count on it. I'm also not counting on any of the new devices being on Tmobile's 600mhz band either. I'm still rocking the 7 Plus (since launch) and was planning on holding onto it another year...........but of the X Plus becomes reality, I'm upgrading. :)

When you get a minute, please head on over to the new members area and introduce yourself to the rest of the iMore community:
https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Thanks.

_______
~Lee Bo

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It will last at least 3 years. Even if 5g first launches next year, it is going to take time to be widespread just like 3g-4g was. The phone will work fine for at least 2-3 years.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vber