• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Will it hurt the iPhone 7 Plus to charge it with the larger iPad charger?

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Its fine to charge your phone with the larger charger. The phone will only pull as much power as it needs to do the charging at spec. Just because the charger is capable of providing more power than what the phone needs does not mean it will always provide the full charging power. Think of it as like a car. Just because the engine in it is capable of providing 300 bhp doesnt mean it is always going to do so. It only provides as much power as you demand from it with the accelerator.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the USB-C charger with lightning cable for my iPad Pro 12.9 and my iPhone 6 (work) and 7Plus (personal) no issues.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
The larger brick charges it more quickly. It will no way damage your phone and it is ok to use it. I actually have a Belkin that has the same power as the ipad charger and it is compatible as well. I forgot to charge my iphone last night and while getting ready for work this morning, it charged up complete in less than two hours. It was at 27% when I plugged into the charger. I can't believe I forgot. LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jethro7