Why the iPad doesn't serve as a work device for me

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I got the ipad2 the day it came out, waited in line and all that. Being a college student, I thought it would help me with my studies. It does and doesn't at the same time. Reading articles, checking websites, contacting professors, the iPad does that well. But my needs exceed those basic functions. Much of my work, as probably any college student knows, involves writing. This week, I do not have my laptop with me. I thought my iPad would be able to temporarily give my laptop a rest. Once again, the basic tasks could be done with ease. But when it comes to writing, I started writing a short paper response to an article I was reading. The multitasking was a pain in the you know what. Pressing the home button twice just to go back to another app was annoying. Half way through my response I had to load up another article which was a PDF. The iPad has 512 MB or memory which should be sufficient enough. Apparently opening a PDF uses so much memory it had thrown my DocsToGo app out of memory, and when reloading I was greeted with a empty page, losing everything I had just worked on.

Needless to say ,I got a piece of looseleaf paper out and did my response the old fashioned way. How do you deal with writing intensive tasks?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to say, as you have discovered, the iPad/iPad2 is more of a "consumption" device than a "creation" device. It's great for consuming data, video, articles, etc... but sorely lacks the capability to effectively create content... That's why I have a MacBook Pro...

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I use my iPad every day for taking notes in class and doing assignments, i use Pages which is by apple and it auto saves after everything you do so you don't have to worry about losing anything.
I also have multi touch gestures on it and its so much easier to just swipe with 4 fingers then hit the home button.
and ive never had pages drop out of memory when opening a pdf, and I have the ipad 1

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to say, as you have discovered, the iPad/iPad2 is more of a "consumption" device than a "creation" device. It's great for consuming data, video, articles, etc... but sorely lacks the capability to effectively create content... That's why I have a MacBook Pro...

+1 I use mine to access Remote desktop for work, but it is only really useful for running maintenance tasks on the servers, no power work use for me. I do like being able to set up and run my utilities while I fix a cocktail. Before the iPad I was stuck in a routine of staying late at work to run these and then go home.

The rest of my use is pure web and a little gaming.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp8