Why I am sick and tired of Android and updates

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi

No matter how much I like Android and been a user since its inception. I am really sick and tired of how updates are controlled and which is why I always admire how Apple have got it bang on right with ios.

From day one Apple has been pushing out updates to their phones without carrier interruption. I know they have less models and Android is on a lot of devices with various manufacturers that add their own skins and then you have the carriers to deal with bit come on its 2016 and Google with all their money should able to deal with this. I have had Nexus devices but they do not appeal to the public as much as Samsung or LG for example.

I have a brilliant device just upgraded to the Galaxy s7 edge but what is marring this from being a great experience is the lack of updates coming through which Samsung have released. I mean even the security patches that are out monthly should be prioritised. My carrier doesn't know they exist lol.

Enough of my rant but since my first taste of Apple with my company given Ipad Air. I might be jumping ship finally to the dark side.

Regards

Shoaib Shah.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Graham Lee77

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I completely agree.

I had iPhones since the 3GS but I started to bore of iOS so I tried out android.

I didn't know what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised.

I stuck to Samsung, S3, S4, then Note 3 and Note 4.

But the lack of updates filtering through for the Note 4 for bug fixes and security updates was the ultimate killer for me.

My Note 4 was network branded by Three Uk. As an example, the phone came with Kitkat just a few weeks before Lollipop came out for the nexus devices.

A full 8 months later, Samsung and Three finally brought out 5.01 which had know memory leaks and security issues out for the Note 4. Eight months!!!! Everyone else was already about 4-5 builds further down the line.

Enough was enough, back to Apple I went, and now I've completely embraced the apple world with an iPhone 6, iPad Air, MacBook Air and iMac lol.

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I am also on Three UK.

They are probably the worst carrier in UK in updating devices heck they don't even know if updates exist lol!

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Apple really isn't "the dark side"....

lol, this is true but it is amazing how many Android fans think of all things Apple as the "dark side" or Apple devotees are "sheep". Personally I like and use both, sometimes switching daily from my Note 5 and Gear S2 to my iPhone 6s Plus and Apple watch and yeah I'm crazy for spending so much on phones and watches. I owe my soul to Verizon.

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I am very similar because I like the pure Nexus experience to get the best from Google and vanilla Android. So I own a Nexus 5X and now an iPhone SE. I've had Android since the day the G1 came out. I also have an iPad mini, first-generation still, and a Nexus seven 2013. I have no reason to upgrade those because they still work so well and are still receiving updates. When the iPhone 7 comes out I will probably get that as well because I'm really enjoying iOS so far. But like you said, it's good to have both flavors and I will probably continue to do the same, but keep my iPhone as my daily driver and stay current with the latest and greatest iPhone every year.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi

No matter how much I like Android and been a user since its inception. I am really sick and tired of how updates are controlled and which is why I always admire how Apple have got it bang on right with ios.

From day one Apple has been pushing out updates to their phones without carrier interruption. I know they have less models and Android is on a lot of devices with various manufacturers that add their own skins and then you have the carriers to deal with bit come on its 2016 and Google with all their money should able to deal with this. I have had Nexus devices but they do not appeal to the public as much as Samsung or LG for example.

I have a brilliant device just upgraded to the Galaxy s7 edge but what is marring this from being a great experience is the lack of updates coming through which Samsung have released. I mean even the security patches that are out monthly should be prioritised. My carrier doesn't know they exist lol.

Enough of my rant but since my first taste of Apple with my company given Ipad Air. I might be jumping ship finally to the dark side.

Regards

Shoaib Shah.

That is what I never liked about Android. One can not update easy.

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I am going to make a decision this fall whether to stick to Android or jump to Apple after I have a look at the new Iphones and Nexus devices that will come.

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have to have an Android for work but I forward everything to my iPhone because I really don't want to carry 2 phones but the reason I am writing is because I heard a lot of good things that could possibly be new on Android (LG G3 is what I have). When I went to have the device check for an update, I am up to date - 9/11/2015 was the last update. So 7 months ago was the last update but I am current - I don't think so.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
My 6P gets monthly updates. So, it's not so much an Android issue as a manufacturer issue.

One thing Apple absolutely nailed from day one is making sure the carriers don't get to muck around with iOS updates. Many Android manufacturers really need to follow suit and bypass the carrier layer. It can only benefit the consumer in the long run.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My 6P gets monthly updates. So, it's not so much an Android issue as a manufacturer issue.

One thing Apple absolutely nailed from day one is making sure the carriers don't get to muck around with iOS updates. Many Android manufacturers really need to follow suit and bypass the carrier layer. It can only benefit the consumer in the long run.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

So true. In addition to the carrier issue, it takes time for the manufacturers to apply their custom ROMs to every release before they even get pushed to carriers.
As far as Android is concerned, go Nexus or go home.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

In regards to the topic, truer words have never been spoken.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
S it takes time for the manufacturers to apply their custom ROMs to every release before they even get pushed to carriers.

They need to hire the devs offering custom roms over at XDA and just leave them alone to do the work. Those guys, with families and full time jobs, seem to get out custom roms with tons of bells and whistles a lot faster than those manufacturers spewing out boring roms with less features.

Samsung hired Steve Kondik (creator of Cyanogen custom rom), but I doubt they ever gave him much say in things.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
They need to hire the devs offering custom roms over at XDA and just leave them alone to do the work. Those guys, with families and full time jobs, seem to get out custom roms with tons of bells and whistles a lot faster than those manufacturers spewing out boring roms with less features.

Samsung hired Steve Kondik (creator of Cyanogen custom rom), but I doubt they ever gave him much say in things.

Totally agree.

I didn't realize Samsung hired Kondik. I'm a fan. Cyanogenmod was my ROM of choice back in my Android days.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Totally agree.

I didn't realize Samsung hired Kondik. I'm a fan. Cyanogenmod was my ROM of choice back in my Android days.

Yeah, they hired him back in 2011, but when he obtained all of those financial backers for Cyanogen, I can't recall if he stayed there or not.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahWilkerson