** Why Does Apple even have these Cheap Black Friday sale events?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Legitimate:

A set dollar/percentage markdown of an item during a holiday sale or promotion.

Stupid:

A retailer inflating the cost of an item ahead of a markdown in order to show savings to the uneducated consumer. I'm looking at you, Walmart.

While it is true with some things, I will say that this theory was tested on some of the big ticket items (primarily electronics) and it was shown that none of the big retailers were really inflating prices of these products at any time within 3 months of the black friday sales. Honestly, I think the stuff they mark down so drastically is stuff people don't pay any attention to anyways because of the competitive products in the pricing bracket. Take the $229 50" TV at Target...normally $500, but a brand like Emerson or ProScan isn't going to draw much attention during the normal season vs. a $500 Samsung 50" Plasma.

That's just what I've observed. They move the bottom dweller products during black friday with significant price drops because the products aren't moving anyways, and it just costs Walmart money sitting in the warehouse regardless.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I never understood why they even have these discounts (i.e. $41 off an iPad with Retina)? It seems so minor and not even worth it to advertise. Seems like other competitors do a lot better in trying to provide a better savings for their customers. What are your thoughts?

They're not the world's most valuable company for nothing. I trust Apple are quite on top of what is worthwhile for them.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
While it is true with some things, I will say that this theory was tested on some of the big ticket items (primarily electronics) and it was shown that none of the big retailers were really inflating prices of these products at any time within 3 months of the black friday sales. Honestly, I think the stuff they mark down so drastically is stuff people don't pay any attention to anyways because of the competitive products in the pricing bracket. Take the $229 50" TV at Target...normally $500, but a brand like Emerson or ProScan isn't going to draw much attention during the normal season vs. a $500 Samsung 50" Plasma.

That's just what I've observed. They move the bottom dweller products during black friday with significant price drops because the products aren't moving anyways, and it just costs Walmart money sitting in the warehouse regardless.

My remark is not specific to Black Friday and is actually something I've seen my local Walmart do first hand for years. Whether that's a per store policy, a regional/district policy or some unwritten rule from corporate is besides the point. There are carrying costs associated with keeping inventory on hand month after month that does not sell. But, for Walmart to make a profit in some cases they will "buy ahead" and get a truckload of goods in from a supplier that may end up sitting on the shelf with limited sales eight months out of the year with markdowns held to regulate stock. What is bought back in April/May of the year isn't always the $100 32" LCD that is on sale on Black Friday.

I work in distribution and I see things like this quite often. I am not surprised anymore with the tactics stores utilize to maximize sales.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp8