• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Why are my iMessages going through to the recipient as my iCloud email?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have Googled this, and nothing worked.
How come my iMessages are going through to the recipient as my iCloud email?
And there is no option to set my phone number as default.
If I uncheck the emails. I get a not delivered, and I have to send it as an SMS.
The threads I see say to uncheck your emails, that's what causes the sent failure.
Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings - Messages - Send & Receive, and then change the selection from your iCloud email address to another one or to your phone number.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings - Messages - Send & Receive, and then change the selection from your iCloud email address to another one or to your phone number.

I tried that, it did not work. What's even stranger, I unchecked the iCloud email address.
And when I sent a test text to a number not in my contacts, it went through fine.
And, it is not every number I text, some work some don't.
And they're all on IOS, not Android or another OS.
I am wondering if I should completely wipe the phone.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have Googled this, and nothing worked.
How come my iMessages are going through to the recipient as my iCloud email?
And there is no option to set my phone number as default.
If I uncheck the emails. I get a not delivered, and I have to send it as an SMS.
The threads I see say to uncheck your emails, that's what causes the sent failure.
Thanks

My Wife and I both have had that issue. It must be an iOS 8 bug. We did all the resets and reboots. It kept happening. So only thing that works is go to Settings >Messsges>Send and Receive > uncheck ALL email addresses in the top part as well as the bottom. Before iOS 8, this top part to receive messages at could have email checked with no problem as long as the bottom "send from" were not checked. I don't use email for iMessages anyway. So uncheck all email and you should be ok. Also delete all message threads with that address. Both phones. If you're getting "not delivered" try signing out of iMessage, then sign back in. Also Reset Network Settings.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420834713.144453.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully the bug gets fixed soon. This only just started to happen yesterday.
I was only aware of it because my friend asked why I was sending my texts that way.
As I said, unchecking the emails sometimes throws a wrench in the works.
That's when I get the undelivered alert.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing is. This whole thing started when I reset the network settings, to fix another issue.
So far the phone is behaving, let's hope it continues that way.

norville001

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
In settings (Messages), turn on iMessage and uncheck all email addresses. It won't permit you to select your phone number but if you back out and return to the same setting, you will see that it automatically selects your phone number.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman