Why AppleTV 4K?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
For a brief moment I thought about ordering one because I'm on the market for another Internet TV solution. Then I saw the Amazon FireTV that offers 4K resolution for $100 less than Apple's offering.

So my question is, what does Apple offer in their AppleTV 4K that justifies such a higher cost than the competition? Are there features available that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any insight on what I would gain by going with Apple over Amazon.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, the AppleTV has access to cable subscriptions and the AppleTV 4K is actually AppleTV 4K HDR and supports Dolby Vision. So you’re getting crisper, cleaner, deeper, richer 4K. And AppleTV has games and an App Store. An Emmy award winning Siri integration, still not sure how that wins an Emmy. Anyway, either you like the AppleTV enough to buy it or you’re fine with Amazon and get the FireTV cheaper.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Aside from what @metllicamilitia wrote, the AppleTV integrates better with everything on your iPad / iPhone.
You can view your photos in iCloud, listen to your music on Apple Music and stream the entire screen of your iPhone or iPad and even your Mac to it.

Unless the FireTV can do all that, that $100 is worth spending on an Apple TV.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information guys. The Amazon FireTV also has access to my cable subscriptions. It also has games and apps. (They may not be as polished as the AppleTV games/apps. I've never used them on the AppleTV)

I currently have FireSticks so I already connect those subscriptions. Good to know about 4K HDR functionality. I'm currently debating that right now.

As far as the photos and music and screen sharing. That is cool. I personally don't care about the photos. I share my screen with my MacBook via HDMI currently.

I'm leaning more towards the Amazon FireTV. There really doesn't appear to be a difference that justifies an extra $100 in my opinion.

Thanks again for the input.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information guys. The Amazon FireTV also has access to my cable subscriptions. It also has games and apps. (They may not be as polished as the AppleTV games/apps. I've never used them on the AppleTV)

I currently have FireSticks so I already connect those subscriptions. Good to know about 4K HDR functionality. I'm currently debating that right now.

As far as the photos and music and screen sharing. That is cool. I personally don't care about the photos. I share my screen with my MacBook via HDMI currently.

I'm leaning more towards the Amazon FireTV. There really doesn't appear to be a difference that justifies an extra $100 in my opinion.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

I am in the same boat but I actually am still considering an Apple TV 4K. The issue is I just bought a Roku Ultra just over a month ago and it does almost the same thing. I do wish Apple Music worked on it though.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat but I actually am still considering an Apple TV 4K. The issue is I just bought a Roku Ultra just over a month ago and it does almost the same thing. I do wish Apple Music worked on it though.

Sell the Roku Ultra for $10-$15 less than what you paid for them and get the TV 4K.
That way you won’t have to have 2 devices.
$10 is the price of 2 big meals at McDonald’s. Make sure to not eat McDonald’s this month and you’re golden.

If you stick to your Roku but start regretting it a few months later, the value you have to deduct from the resale price will only be higher and that will make it harder for you to justify getting the TV 4K.

TL:DR sell the Roku get the TV.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Sell the Roku Ultra for $10-$15 less than what you paid for them and get the TV 4K.
That way you won’t have to have 2 devices.
$10 is the price of 2 big meals at McDonald’s. Make sure to not eat McDonald’s this month and you’re golden.

If you stick to your Roku but start regretting it a few months later, the value you have to deduct from the resale price will only be higher and that will make it harder for you to justify getting the TV 4K.

TL:DR sell the Roku get the TV.

I am considering it. Wal-Mart has the 32GB Apple TV 4K for $149.99* which is $30 less than Best Buy. I’m just annoyed that I got tired of waiting for Apple to catch up and then they finally announced it. Not that it wasn’t expected, I just jumped ship too early.

*Although, I wonder if they messed up and that’s actually the standard Apple TV because that’s the price.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So I pulled the trigger and went with an AppleTV 4K last night. So far so good. I was experiencing frequent issues with my Firesticks buffering and app issues. My hope is apps on the AppleTV are a little more polished with fewer bugs. I have been pleased with the video quality. And I enjoy the ability to stream my iCloud music library.