Who do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Over the years, Google has been known to mine users data for ad purposes. Some people have stated that Google has gotten better with allowing users to have more control over how their data is used or not used. By the way, this is not a Google hate thread. Anyway, it got me to thinking. Which company do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

You don't have to trust either, but the question is which of the two do you trust more with your data? My answer is Apple. What about you?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I trust Google. So far, nothing has happened to indicate that Google has taken my personal details. Sure, for the items I gave permission, it looks into it like - places I visit, packages in my emails, trips in my emails - but with that it is still giving me the advantage of tracking it properly and have never seen that data fed as an input to other ad services. So in that regards, Google has become my hub - my smart home, my daily calendar, my tracking app, pretty much everything - it knows what I like, what I would be interested in and so far it has only given those details to me.

Apple has not all but at least some data and frankly it doesn’t know what to do with it. How it can use the data to help me - I am not talking abut ads - but how it can help me with my own data.

If you compare my scenario with Facebook for example - I can clearly see ads targeting something that I spoke or discussed or even browsed in my feed or suggesting friends based on my doctors visit as we both visit the same clinic! So that is clearly out of line!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess I trust them both equally. I’m one of those foolish guys that says, “ it’s not big deal because I don’t have anything to hide”

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I guess I trust them both equally. Nether has given me a reason for concern. I allow some things and don't allow others.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It would be about the same for me as well, however, Google is much more public about mining your data and using it for ads and such. It is what it is at this point and our smart assistants wouldn’t be nearly as smart without giving them that information. Google just uses the collective data to further Google Assistant and even uses their data from Chrome and Google search. So really, Google gets information from multiple sources at any time. Apple tries to keep everything walled off. In the end, they both have information on us.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don’t really care... They both have all our data and in the end we don’t know what they are doing with it.

So my theory is be safe online and don’t do things you don’t want others to know... And if you do then don’t put that online anywhere

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t trust Google at all, in reality I have to use it but don’t trust it. I sort of trust Apple, but don’t like the Amazon connection.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I would say equal.

As others have said, Google collects your data to target ads and to enhance your smartphone experience. Apple limits your smartphone experience thus it becomes personal preference as to which works best for you.

None of this makes me trust one over the other.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Who do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

I trust Google. So far, nothing has happened to indicate that Google has taken my personal details. Sure, for the items I gave permission, it looks into it like - places I visit, packages in my emails, trips in my emails - but with that it is still giving me the advantage of tracking it properly and have never seen that data fed as an input to other ad services. So in that regards, Google has become my hub - my smart home, my daily calendar, my tracking app, pretty much everything - it knows what I like, what I would be interested in and so far it has only given those details to me.

Apple has not all but at least some data and frankly it doesn’t know what to do with it. How it can use the data to help me - I am not talking abut ads - but how it can help me with my own data.

If you compare my scenario with Facebook for example - I can clearly see ads targeting something that I spoke or discussed or even browsed in my feed or suggesting friends based on my doctors visit as we both visit the same clinic! So that is clearly out of line!
This post presents one of the main reason I trust Apple more than Google. Apple's Siri is stupid, iOS system know almost nothing about me, which, for me, indicates that if Apple collects data, it simply don't use it so much as Google.

About Google... People used to be sentenced to death for private correspondence violation, not so many time ago. Now Google thinks it's have the right do read my emails and thinks that's all right. Well, for me it isn't. It's Assistant showing data only me was supposed to know, only makes me distrust Google more and more.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They basically do the same things. Apple is just better at making you feel more secure. I trust them both the same. I've had no issues with either one.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
They basically do the same things. Apple is just better at making you feel more secure. I trust them both the same. I've had no issues with either one.

I trust them both as well but it’s important to note that Apple’s revenue is based off of hardware sales while Google is much more dependent on advertising (i.e. data mining and selling) to drive revenue.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I trust them both as well but it’s important to note that Apple’s revenue is based off of hardware sales while Google is much more dependent on advertising (i.e. data mining and selling) to drive revenue.

That doesn’t bother me at all, though I understand how some people are more private.

If Google is steering advertising to me because they know I’m interested in X, I could care less. In fact, I might be happy about it if I find a bargain. If they are selling my bank account number (which I don’t believe they are) that would be an entirely different story.

Data is a very broad term and I think it makes these conversations difficult because we are not all talking about the same thing. It is interesting though and certainly pertinent in today’s environment.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That doesn’t bother me at all, though I understand how some people are more private.

If Google is steering advertising to me because they know I’m interested in X, I could care less. In fact, I might be happy about it if I find a bargain. If they are selling my bank account number (which I don’t believe they are) that would be an entirely different story.

Data is a very broad term and I think it makes these conversations difficult because we are not all talking about the same thing. It is interesting though and certainly pertinent in today’s environment.

Exactly. We will see ads, whether we choose them to be relevant for our wants and needs or not. It would be nice if we could get some form of compensation for our data though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77