• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

when is bluetooth discoverable

kozza

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I have had issues with bluetooth discoverability. It seems that the iphone is only discoverable in the bluetooth menu. A real pain when trying to autopair with the car stereo - I don't want to have to go into the BT menu everytime.

I also checked the discoverability with my nokia - no problems when the iphone was in the BT menu but no luck when it was on any other menu.

It is a 3g with version3.1.2

any advice???

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Once you pair it, you shouldn't have to re-pair it, so there's no reason you would have to make it discoverable every time you go to your car. Evidently it's not pairing properly to start with.

kozza

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
The stereo pairs fine to start with in the bluetooth screen on the phone. The handsfree is listed as a device, including when disconnected. I can autoconnect to the handsfree when the phone is in the bluetooth menu but that means I need to go settings>general>bluetooth. Surely if I have the bluetooth on it should be discoverable in whatever screen I am in?

Hmm just checked and if I go through the stereo and select the iphone and direct connect it connects happily in whatever screen the iphone is in.

Summary:
The iPhone has been paired successfully and stored in the stereo's memory and a phone.

Autoconnect has been selected in the stereo

It will autoconnect if I have the phone on the bluetooth menu

It will not autoconnect on any other menu screen of the phone

It will connect if I select the phone directly through the stereo in any menu screen of the phone

Therefore it seems that the stereo cannot see the phone through autoconnect.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I do not have any problems with my BT speaker phone. As soon as I turn on the speaker phone it connects to the iPhone. My guess is that it is just some setting that you are missing. Also my GF has BT built into her car and does not have the same issue you are having.

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a Sony/Erikson stereo bt adapter and it behaves the same way. My windows phone always linked up. The iPhone won't unless I open bt menu.

joewee

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had issues with bluetooth discoverability. It seems that the iphone is only discoverable in the bluetooth menu. A real pain when trying to autopair with the car stereo - I don't want to have to go into the BT menu everytime.

I also checked the discoverability with my nokia - no problems when the iphone was in the BT menu but no luck when it was on any other menu.

It is a 3g with version3.1.2

any advice???

I am having the same problem with a GTX Bluetooth Visor Speaker Phone Handsfree Kit. I have it paired fine but I have to manually go into the Iphone BT settings and tap on the paired item. It is a pain each time to do this. I found something online that works temporarily. Here is the post:

Ok, the trick is this: (you'll need a landline phone or another cellphone to get it to work) get your phone to pair your device, make sure your iPhone it's registered to the deck, then leave your iPhone on the bluetooth screen where it says "discoverable"... then you'll need to call your cell phone or send a text message to it... THIS TAKES IT OFF OF THE BLUETOOTH SCREEN BUT LEAVES YOUR PHONE IN THE DISCOVERABLE STATE!!!

this works for me, but only for a short time. Any ideas or other suggestions would be welcome. BTW I also have a 3G with 3.1.2 software and jailbroken.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgule