• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

What is the purpose of iTunes?

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I have had my ipad for over a year and I fail to understand what iTunes is for! I have never used it. I have Player Xtreme and Playable Pro apps and if I want to transfer photos and videos from my PC to my iPad or vice versa. That is how I do it. I download UK TV show torrents on my computer and if I want them on my ipad I use an app to do it.

I have to admit that I almost never listen to music. I have an iphone. I like some things about it but I still miss the physical keyboard on my Blackberry! I doubt I will ever progress to typing fast with my thumbs like I did on the Blackberry, but that is another subject!

I have nothing on my iPad that I want a duplicate of on my iPhone. I want my email on my iPad because the screen is bigger. I want my calendar reminders on my phone because I always have it with me.

Is there any wonderful feature of iTunes that I am missing out on given what I use my ipad and my phone for?

Thanks in advance.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't use iTunes either. The way I see it, all the music, apps, documents, and photos you download,are already in the cloud.
I am an Amazon user, but I do not really buy much music.
So I guess I as well am also not seeing the need for iTunes.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't use iTunes either. The way I see it, all the music, apps, documents, and photos you download,are already in the cloud.
I am an Amazon user, but I do not really buy much music.
So I guess I as well am also not seeing the need for iTunes.
Not a very big on amazon use, iTunes works for me and I'm use to it.

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess I am not alone. I wouldn't like to lose my photos and I copy them to my computer periodically. But apart for those I don't really have anything I would be devastated to lose. I have podcasts but I could download them again. I guess I will carry on as I am. Don't need any added things to learn!!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I guess I am not alone. I wouldn't like to lose my photos. But apart for those I don't really have anything I would be devastated to lose. I have podcasts but I could download them again. I guess I will carry on as I am. Don't need any added things to learn!!

My photos are on Google Drive, and a USB flash drive. I wouldn't trust your hard drive alone on your PC to save anything.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I watch the movies I bought from in there in iTunes on my PC, so I really only use it for that. The Music part is satisfied on my iPhone, where I have iTunes Match enabled on it.

That's two uses I just mentioned...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iTunes = $$$$ for Apple. That's why it's there. And we use it because it is there. I do like the App Store. iTunes for music not so much. And I don't bother with movies, books and podcasts. Apple gets enough of my money as is.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What an odd question. It has so many uses from where I am standing. Or am I missing something here?

It's not an odd question at all. Personally I dislike iTunes. I think its library system is simply awful so I only use it to backup and update by device. I don't use it for anything else at all.

I use Doubletwist for uploading music to my iPhone and it has the added bonus of working for my Android devices too so I can update the music on all my devices, regardless of OS, with one app. It doesn't try to move or convert my mp3s and just accepts where they are on my hard drive and works from there, unlike iTunes that wants to create sync folders and all sort of unnecessary rubbish. I use Winamp and AIMP for actually playing music on my PCs.

If it wasn't for the fact that I HAVE to have iTunes on my computer to backup and update my devices, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The question wasn't whether or not you like it, but what is it's purpose. It appears many here didn't seem to grasp that point. It has many purposes for the average user. Just because you don't like it's layout, and therefore decide not to use it, doesn't mean it lacks a purpose for being on your machine.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not an odd question at all. Personally I dislike iTunes. I think its library system is simply awful so I only use it to backup and update by device. I don't use it for anything else at all.

I use Doubletwist for uploading music to my iPhone and it has the added bonus of working for my Android devices too so I can update the music on all my devices, regardless of OS, with one app. It doesn't try to move or convert my mp3s and just accepts where they are on my hard drive and works from there, unlike iTunes that wants to create sync folders and all sort of unnecessary rubbish. I use Winamp and AIMP for actually playing music on my PCs.

If it wasn't for the fact that I HAVE to have iTunes on my computer to backup and update my devices, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I reckon anything but music, like say you wanna watch movies, you are better off using iTunes for things like that, or your iOS devices of course.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman