What features are most important to you in a standing desk?

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
By now just about everyone has heard of standing desks. If you somehow haven't, it's simply a desk with adjustable height so you can both stand and sit during your work day. With so many people transitioning to working from home this year, and options for getting exercise in somewhat limited, it makes sense that people would be interested in converting their home office into something a little more health conscious, and adding in a standing desk is the perfect place to start.

There are a few different options for standing desks. You can choose from manually operated desks or electric desks, which are much more popular! The electric version makes it easy to raise and lower your desk so you're more likely to take advantage of the full range of features and the benefits that come with standing during your work day.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 5.47.06 PM.png

I'm particularly interested in the new SmartDesk 4 from Autonomous. Not only is it an electric desk, it has an app with a ton of cool and innovative features! You can change desk heights from sitting to standing and vice versa, program preset memory heights, lock the desk so that the manual controls aren't accidentally activated, schedule sit-stand sessions, and even follow exercise videos right at your desk! I think the new additions of being able to schedule your sitting/standing sessions and being able to do quick exercises between Zoom calls and email replies are going to be a game changer for me! Are those features you would use in your day, or is a different feature catching your eye?

The SmartDesk 4 isn't out yet, but you can sign up for updates and be the first to know when it's ready to order. The only thing you have to decide is what color you'll choose!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would definitely want one that could adust easily from sitting to standing. And one with a lot built-in ports would be great! And, perhaps a built-in Qi charger.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It would definitely need to be cost effective. The markup on standing desks is absurd IMO. Outside of cost, it would need be plenty spacious without being too large.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I have been using a Ergotron for years! Love the thing.
The things you quickly learn about standing desks, you need LONG cables/extensions - LOL

Also, be mindful to verify the weight capacity of the desk.
Most important to me, is the ease to raise and lower the desk (quickly).

klauskneeskern

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
I have experience using such a table. I have back and neck problems, so sometimes I work at a standing desk, but it's not always comfortable. When I worked in the office, I had 3 desks: the first desk was where I ate lunch so that I didn't waste time going to a cafe; the second desk was a standing desk, which I used when my back hurt; and the third desk was a regular desk. When I started working from home, I ordered ergonomic desks with drawers. It is suitable for sitting and standing work. This desk takes up little space in my home office, so there is no need to buy 3 different desks.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2