What do you think about only one port?

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
i am pretty much all in on cloud services so i never use USB sticks anyway. it is really hard for me to justify needing more ports, having a second would be a nice to have but not a deal breaker by any means. i recently upgraded my wifi at home using an Airport Time Capsule, just to make sure I had the highest wifi speeds/transfer rates. currently pulling 300 mbps on wifi so i am good with an all wireless device.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the MacBook only having one port, but I think when they release the next iteration, they will add another port--for a total of two. That I cold live with.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Its not worrying me, used the adapter to use time machine from my backup and sync my iPhone once. Charger is great only cable i use now. Better than magsafe. Printer/photo stream/iphone sync all done on wifi. Just need a ATV for my office Tv for airplay and netflix cheaper than buying the hdmi adapter. Just got to sell my 2 year old 15" MBPr now. iPad air 2 is gone.
Its the 1.2/512 rMB and a iPhone 128gb 6 plus for me now.

AAPLfan

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, I thought a similar thing when I transitioned from a laptop that had a DVD/ burner to the MacBook Air which didn't even have a CD player... Installed my software from the website downloads, streamed via music services, etc. And I hardly remember an optical drive being integrated in these things anymore

There's always a learning curve to everything and don't think it will be any different with this new step of tech. It's this wait for my MacBook that seems to be the unbearable part. #firstworldproblems

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I thought a similar thing when I transitioned from a laptop that had a DVD/ burner to the MacBook Air which didn't even have a CD player... Installed my software from the website downloads, streamed via music services, etc. And I hardly remember an optical drive being integrated in these things anymore

There's always a learning curve to everything and don't think it will be any different with this new step of tech. It's this wait for my MacBook that seems to be the unbearable part. #firstworldproblems

It's part of the evolution of the personal computer. The same was said when the 5?" and 3?" floppy drives were eliminated. Now the optical drives are virtually relics of the past. I am not sure a single port on a laptop will work, but eventually, that may very well be the norm. My only concern, beyond having to buy devices/adapters with only the USB-C connector is the occasional need for multiple things connected concurrently (power and a thumb drive, for example).

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had my rMP for week now and have used the adapter twice, once to step and yesterday to do a back up before i downloaded 10.4 Beta. I use Bose BT headphones, or Sonos, its great being wireless just pick up and go around the house or going out. Charging is just like a iPad or iPhone.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had my rMP for week now and have used the adapter twice, once to step and yesterday to do a back up before i downloaded 10.4 Beta. I use Bose BT headphones, or Sonos, its great being wireless just pick up and go around the house or going out. Charging is just like a iPad or iPhone.

How is the battery life?

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I can't compare this to the removal of the 5-inch floppy, the 3-inch floppy, or the CD-Rom for one very simple reason: Apple isn't offering us a new technology to replace it that has the potential to become ubiquitous. At least not right now. Much like firewire and thunderbolt, Apple can't guarantee that this new USB-C port will become an industry standard. Are they not aware they make the iPod and the iPhone? You want me to transfer my media through a USB dongle connector? I have things connected to my laptop 75% of the time, whether a scanner, my drawing tablet, my iPhone, my external harddrive, etc. And given how many issues peripherals have with USB hubs, I can't imagine it would be any better with the USB adapter.

And not only that, but the fact that I can't use a device and charge my laptop at the same time is a major, major dealbreaker. If anybody ever needed proof that Apple is floundering since Steve Jobs died, nobody needs to look any further than the 2015 Macbook. Overpriced, underpowered, and not as functional as previous Apple computers. I always felt Apple set the standard for timeless computers. The Macbook Air was very forward thinking, even if the price was completely ridiculous and insulting to customers. But unlike the Air, the 2015 Macbook has functional issues that prevent it from actually being a laptop. This is just a tablet with a physical keyboard.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
i'm all about functionality. I don't have much plugged up to my MacBook Pro but I typically keep my iPhone cable hooked to it and charge my phone with it..

That being said, no I don't NEED a bunch of ports but in the event that I DO need a USB port it would be nice to have one. Idk what Apples infatuation is with making everything ungodly thin at the expense of functionality... "Lets give everything less and less memory, take out all expansion options, hell lets take out the cool backlight. But lets make it THIN.". NO Apple. I'm sorry. No. I hope this is an experiment that isn't brought back. MAYBE if it was priced at like $600 I could dig it... But for $1200 you mean to tell me I can't even plug a thumb drive into this flimsy thing????

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
i'm all about functionality. I don't have much plugged up to my MacBook Pro but I typically keep my iPhone cable hooked to it and charge my phone with it..

That being said, no I don't NEED a bunch of ports but in the event that I DO need a USB port it would be nice to have one. Idk what Apples infatuation is with making everything ungodly thin at the expense of functionality... "Lets give everything less and less memory, take out all expansion options, hell lets take out the cool backlight. But lets make it THIN.". NO Apple. I'm sorry. No. I hope this is an experiment that isn't brought back. MAYBE if it was priced at like $600 I could dig it... But for $1200 you mean to tell me I can't even plug a thumb drive into this flimsy thing????

And all of your points--which are valid--are what's keeping me from purchasing one of these devices. Particularly this one: "...lets take out the cool backlight."

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't compare this to the removal of the 5-inch floppy, the 3-inch floppy, or the CD-Rom for one very simple reason: Apple isn't offering us a new technology to replace it that has the potential to become ubiquitous. At least not right now. Much like firewire and thunderbolt, Apple can't guarantee that this new USB-C port will become an industry standard. Are they not aware they make the iPod and the iPhone? You want me to transfer my media through a USB dongle connector? I have things connected to my laptop 75% of the time, whether a scanner, my drawing tablet, my iPhone, my external harddrive, etc. And given how many issues peripherals have with USB hubs, I can't imagine it would be any better with the USB adapter.

And not only that, but the fact that I can't use a device and charge my laptop at the same time is a major, major dealbreaker. If anybody ever needed proof that Apple is floundering since Steve Jobs died, nobody needs to look any further than the 2015 Macbook. Overpriced, underpowered, and not as functional as previous Apple computers. I always felt Apple set the standard for timeless computers. The Macbook Air was very forward thinking, even if the price was completely ridiculous and insulting to customers. But unlike the Air, the 2015 Macbook has functional issues that prevent it from actually being a laptop. This is just a tablet with a physical keyboard.

USB-C will become standard, though. It's inevitable. It's not just some new, alternative connector to USB. It's the evolution of it, and it's being backed up by several companies. It may (and probably will) take a few years to become more used than the current USB, but it will eventually replace it.

That being said, I don't think giving this laptop a single port for charging and data transfer was the way to go. I'd rather trade the headphone jack for another USB-C port and use an adapter for those few instances I want to plug in a wired headset.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I just don't get why it only needs to have one port... What is Apple trying to accomplish with this machine? Who is the target audience?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I just don't get why it only needs to have one port... What is Apple trying to accomplish with this machine? Who is the target audience?

I think Apple is attempting to push the envelope--maybe too much. And I think the target audience is someone that only needs one step above an iPad most of the time.

Just my opinion.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
That's fine, but... $1200 kind of slashes that idea. Who wants to spend $1200 on an e-mail machine. Sorry. Haha. I'm negative right now.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
That's fine, but... $1200 kind of slashes that idea. Who wants to spend $1200 on an e-mail machine. Sorry. Haha. I'm negative right now.

No, you're not being negative. . . . That is a lot of money. Although, I once spent $3,500 on a ThinkPad. :sick:

hitmanbb88

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

It's the same as optical drives. Today, none of the laptops being offered by Apple has one, except for the one non-retina MBP. The question to ask is: How often do you use those ports? If you're like many users, placing data on the cloud, then this machine is for you. For me, I'm happy with my MacBook so far. None to complain.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Push the idea, Convince your clients it's the best idea ever, convince them they need it, show them how easy it is to buy, point them in the direction to buy one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77