What do you NOT LIKE about Apple TV?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve heard some people say they don’t see enough Apple criticism on iMore. So let’s jump into it then, I’d like to keep this an active thread if possible. I’ll post my own dislikes later, for now, what do you not like about the Apple TV? Any of them.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Only one complaint: the remote isn't as user friendly as I'd like it to be. The touchpad is wonky at times and a little too sensitive. That's pretty much it for me. I like the current iteration of TVos.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I want the scrubber preview box to come back to all apps and when AirPlaying. It used to work when AirPlaying but it hasn’t since tvOS 11.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The remote definitely needs work. As does the on screen keyboard. I almost feel like I have to use Siri to type anything on it. Whoever decided the keyboard should be a single line (mostly) failed design school. I’m not a big fan of the whole grid layout design on Apple TV, even a carousel would be nicer. It has constant power and a larger screen, let me tinker around with backgrounds a little. Let me make it my own.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I like to see more apps for iPhone and iPad available for Apple TV. For example, the Charter Spectrum app isn't available on. ATV. One reason we haven't completely cut the cable yet.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got an ATV4 yesterday. I generally do agree with you. Mostly when I have to type in a complex password as I have stored in 1Password. But when I have things like that to do, I use the keyboard input feature on my iphone. Yeah, sure, you may not always have a device near you when you are trying t o type but it works well....IMHO

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The remote. I've tried a few universals (including the harmony elite and companion), but without Siri support, I'll suffer thru the touchpad.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Although I've adjusted to the remote, I've had some trouble getting my wife to buy into it. It frustrates her. It's really sensitive at times. And the user interface isn't as user friendly as I think it should be for an Apple product. The nice thing about the iPhone was that you could always get to the home screen by pressing a single button. That's not the case here. I would like a way to always get back to the main screen by pressing one button. As of now, the quickest way is to press the "Watch Next" button to get to the Watch Next screen, then pressing it again to go home. But for my mother-in-law, who isn't as technically savvy, the UI could use some work.

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Although I've adjusted to the remote, I've had some trouble getting my wife to buy into it. It frustrates her. It's really sensitive at times. And the user interface isn't as user friendly as I think it should be for an Apple product. The nice thing about the iPhone was that you could always get to the home screen by pressing a single button. That's not the case here. I would like a way to always get back to the main screen by pressing one button. As of now, the quickest way is to press the "Watch Next" button to get to the Watch Next screen, then pressing it again to go home. But for my mother-in-law, who isn't as technically savvy, the UI could use some work.

Which model of Apple TV are you using? On the 4K remote, pressing the home button (next to the menu button) on the remote takes you to the main (home) screen.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Which model of Apple TV are you using? On the 4K remote, pressing the home button (next to the menu button) on the remote takes you to the main (home) screen.

I'm using the 4K remote. That button takes me to the "TV" screen with a lineup of shows that I watch. Not the main screen with all of my applications.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm using the 4K remote. That button takes me to the "TV" screen with a lineup of shows that I watch. Not the main screen with all of my applications.

The function of that button differs per region.

If you have the TV app, it will bring you to the tv up. This is true for the US, UK and some other countries.
If you’re, like me, in a country that still doesn’t have the TV app, it will bring you to Homescreen.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

If you have the TV app, it will bring you to the tv up. This is true for the US, UK and some other countries.
If you’re, like me, in a country that still doesn’t have the TV app, it will bring you to Homescreen.

Makes sense. Since the function varies, I wonder if it's customizable? I haven't looked into it much but now I'm wondering if theres a setting that could adjust this. Probably not.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Maybe, but I’m in the US with the TV app and the home button always takes me to the home screen.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Makes sense. Since the function varies, I wonder if it's customizable? I haven't looked into it much but now I'm wondering if theres a setting that could adjust this. Probably not.

I couldn’t find a way to adjust it, too. Knowing how Apple is, it’s safe to assume it’s not adjustable.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As with a lot folks, I think the remote needs some work. The trackpad sensitivity goes nuts at times and makes navigation through the menus a challenge.

Other then the remote, I have had my Apple TV 4th generation and Direct TV Now going on a year and would never go back to cable.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l6onn44vy