What cases are you using on your iPhone 7 Plus?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
@flyinion you’d probably have to press on the screen harder with another screen protector under the Frē but it shouldn’t mess up the water protection. If you want to go the AppleCare route that works too.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I've heard some people say it likely won't mess with the seal but the extra layer of stuff on the screen is probably not a great idea for sure. I did hold onto the rhino protector (stuck it on the heavy paper inner packaging) when I took it off. I wonder if the Rhino or the Tek Armor ballistic glass (which I ran before and also saved) are the kind where you can rinse the adhesive side under water to get dust off? I've seen that tip on a few YouTube review channels but it sounds like that doesn't work with all protectors and depends on the glue they use?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Yeah I've heard some people say it likely won't mess with the seal but the extra layer of stuff on the screen is probably not a great idea for sure. I did hold onto the rhino protector (stuck it on the heavy paper inner packaging) when I took it off. I wonder if the Rhino or the Tek Armor ballistic glass (which I ran before and also saved) are the kind where you can rinse the adhesive side under water to get dust off? I've seen that tip on a few YouTube review channels but it sounds like that doesn't work with all protectors and depends on the glue they use?

Yeah I can’t help there. Once I remove it I trash it. Same with skins. I have no luck reapplying, so dirty.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
You could also look at the Lifeproof Nuud, and use the screen protectors that work with them. Then you would still have some protection if you took the case off (though obviously not on the bezels. I have no experience with Lifeproof so I don't know if there are otehr differences between the Nuud and Fre other than the built in protector, that was just something I saw on Amazon.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Fre showed up this afternoon. Will be going on later this evening. This is going to be interesting, especially after using my phone with a totally naked screen for the last day and a half. I'm now spoiled on the feel lol.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I have it, but that's my point is I just took it off so I can put the Fre on so now I don't have a screen protector if I decide to swap cases around. There's no way I'm going to keep something dust free if I keep installing/removing/reinstalling the same thing, and ~$20 a pop every time I decide to stop using the Fre is steep. I might only use the fre on weekend trips for example.

This was the issue I ran into. I am very outdoors-y and on weekends I'm always hiking, biking, swimming, or at the beach etc. During the summer, my Frē is pretty much the only case I use. But, once October hits I like to switch up and use my other cases. I finally gave in and just put a film screen protector on instead of a tempered glass. It's thinner, works perfectly fine while the Frē is on and when it's off I don't have to worry about applying/re-applying.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
This was the issue I ran into. I am very outdoors-y and on weekends I'm always hiking, biking, swimming, or at the beach etc. During the summer, my Frē is pretty much the only case I use. But, once October hits I like to switch up and use my other cases. I finally gave in and just put a film screen protector on instead of a tempered glass. It's thinner, works perfectly fine while the Frē is on and when it's off I don't have to worry about applying/re-applying.

Ah ok, well hmmm guess I should have left the Rhino protector on then. It's also film, but maybe it's thicker than some I'm not sure. It's definitely thinner than the glass ones I've used though. Or I could just do the leave the Fre on during the outdoors season and then put a protector and another case on the rest of the time. I think I'll probably just run without a protector and get a UAG metropolis if I start noticing any micro-scratches in the oleophobic coating.

I haven't noticed any issues so far. The 6s+ I had though the first night I wiped it on my shirt (which I thought was clean) to remove fingerprints after a few hours of setting it up (first iPhone) and immediately got a nice 1/2" micro-scratch in the coating. So I rush ordered a tempered glass protector for it and had been using protectors since. Started having flashbacks to the poor Lumia 1020 that I had. Anyway I'll post a pic of the Fre when it goes on tonight if I can get a good pic out of my 2017 iPad (or borrow my wife's 7).

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Got a speck presidio today at TjMaxx! $15! Can't beat that price!

5254f961123a27a20b4febae339a97fb.jpg

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
New Fre next to my Rhinoshield playproof. Still trying to get the touchID to behave. Seems good so far. This is my first fully enclosed case in right years of smartphones so it will be an adjustment no matter what

ae00a07f8115fc9988ec5d45953ef081.jpg

d088f28acdf29749d7c49172d31b86af.jpg

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
So one thing I've noticed after using the Fre for a few hours now, the extra width/length over a traditional case and maybe combined with the gray borders from the color I chose give an optical illusion of the 7+ having a smaller screen than it really does. Like, my brain looks at the extra bezel width and says "wow that's a small screen for the phone being so big".

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So one thing I've noticed after using the Fre for a few hours now, the extra width/length over a traditional case and maybe combined with the gray borders from the color I chose give an optical illusion of the 7+ having a smaller screen than it really does. Like, my brain looks at the extra bezel width and says "wow that's a small screen for the phone being so big".

Oh yes definitely, leave it on a for a while and take it off and your screen looks HUGE! It’s one of the things that has made gravitate toward thinner cases.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Oh yes definitely, leave it on a for a while and take it off and your screen looks HUGE! It’s one of the things that has made gravitate toward thinner cases.

I also found some dust under the screen protector this morning. I assume from opening/closing the charge port since I treated the install like putting a screen protector on and this stuff wasn't there last night. I definitely see this case's future use for me being it specifically only going on when I need the protection level. But overall most of the concerns I had from reading various comments in the past that helped steer me away from grabbing one seem to be nonexistent.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Why didn't y'all tell me Verizon does next day shipping for free? (I think I just live by a hub). Ordered 8/3 at 3pm and I got this this morning!

30af1490d05e4361aac7a6733ac5137b.jpg
0e2acb5ef237951f50397cfceef229ac.jpg
cb50d433754625482701c63fe92c4388.jpg

jr866gooner

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site