watchOS 10 released

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh, man, I really love the new Modular Ultra face.

On the other hand, it's going to take some time to get used to no more dock, a different way to access control center (I preferred the old way: I don't need control center often, so it seems wasted on a button) - but I do like the new widget screen, or Smart Stack, or whatever they call the swipe up from the bottom (or roll of the crown.) And I'm really happy with the no more swiping between faces - that used to happen accidentally on occasion. Now it's much more of a controlled set of gestures.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I discovered a couple of hours ago that I didn’t even have my dock set up. I guess that’s something I didn’t use at all 😅

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My first impression was that I HATED the changes. I mostly use five apps and they were on the dock, so I was really ticked that button is now worthless. I would MUCH rather have a useful dock than widgets. I suppose what I will do is add widgets for the Apple apps (only Apple apps can be widgets) I use.

After reading doogald's post, I decided to check out the Modular Ultra face. Wow! Now THAT is a homerun. FINALLY, Apple added another face with seconds. I've used Activity Digital almost exclusively because it has seconds. Also, the ability to have so many complications is fantastic. I have it set up mostly as a mini weather station, but it's great that I can make Audible a complication since I use it daily and there's no dock for it.

I also like that you have to force press to swipe between faces. I too was accidentally changing them.

I will adapt to the changes, including the loss of the dock, but I wish Apple had given us two choices: 1) swipe for control center or swipe up for widgets and 2) side button for dock or side button for control center.

Who knows? Maybe I'll just let Siri open apps and then the dock doesn't matter.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My first impression was that I HATED the changes. I mostly use five apps and they were on the dock, so I was really ticked that button is now worthless. I would MUCH rather have a useful dock than widgets. I suppose what I will do is add widgets for the Apple apps (only Apple apps can be widgets) I use.

After reading doogald's post, I decided to check out the Modular Ultra face. Wow! Now THAT is a homerun. FINALLY, Apple added another face with seconds. I've used Activity Digital almost exclusively because it has seconds. Also, the ability to have so many complications is fantastic. I have it set up mostly as a mini weather station, but it's great that I can make Audible a complication since I use it daily and there's no dock for it.

I also like that you have to force press to swipe between faces. I too was accidentally changing them.

I will adapt to the changes, including the loss of the dock, but I wish Apple had given us two choices: 1) swipe for control center or swipe up for widgets and 2) side button for dock or side button for control center.

Who knows? Maybe I'll just let Siri open apps and then the dock doesn't matter.

Might just be easier to switch to honeycomb and put your most used apps around the center, should work like the dock.

Nothing wrong with Siri opening apps on the Apple Watch or iPhone.

Reactions: tcuprof

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Might just be easier to switch to honeycomb and put your most used apps around the center, should work like the dock.

Nothing wrong with Siri opening apps on the Apple Watch or iPhone.
Thanks. I might give that a try.

Reactions: FFR

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Ugh! I keep a record of my weekly activity summary. Apple apparently decided we aren't interested in weekly steps or distance since those are no longer reported. :mad:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone seeing significantly reduced battery life with watchOS 10?

Instead of ending my day at around 20-25%, I finished with 3% yesterday (at 19:15), and I’m at 6% right now.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Anyone seeing significantly reduced battery life with watchOS 10?

Instead of ending my day at around 20-25%, I finished with 3% yesterday (at 19:15), and I’m at 6% right now.
I never even look at mine. The battery in the Ultra is big enough that even with 100+ minutes in workout, it's still 57% after wearing it 13 hours. I've read that the new OSs (watch and phone) will cause reduced battery life, but it should be temporary and will return to normal after a few days.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I've read that the new OSs (watch and phone) will cause reduced battery life, but it should be temporary and will return to normal after a few days.
Very aware of that part, however it was never a significant drop. It was more in the 15-20 minute range, rather than hours.

My watch didn't even make it to home. It took exactly 1 hour from my post to get to 0%.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The first day or two after an update, especially when the major version number goes up, always drains the battery more.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ugh! I keep a record of my weekly activity summary. Apple apparently decided we aren't interested in weekly steps or distance since those are no longer reported. :mad:
Try the (iPhone) app HealthView. After you set it up to show steps and distance, go into settings and change the week "week start" from "last 7 days" to Monday.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Try the (iPhone) app HealthView. After you set it up to show steps and distance, go into settings and change the week "week start" from "last 7 days" to Monday.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I think for what this app cost, I'll pass since I can just take an extra minute per week to add up the steps and miles. Of course, after doing it a few times, I may change my mind.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I think for what this app cost, I'll pass since I can just take an extra minute per week to add up the steps and miles. Of course, after doing it a few times, I may change my mind.
You could have a look at FitnesssView, which was free when I installed it initially. I don’t know if it still is.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
While it does nag you often to do an in-app purchase if you haven't already done it, it is free, and you can get the stats without the in-app purchase.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You could have a look at FitnesssView, which was free when I installed it initially. I don’t know if it still is.

Thanks Ed. It also has a subscription, but it looks it will run without. It probably has nags, but I'll give it a try.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
While it does nag you often to do an in-app purchase if you haven't already done it, it is free, and you can get the stats without the in-app purchase.

When I downloaded it yesterday, I didn't see a way to skip the subscription page. I see that now so I'll give it a try as well. Thanks!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77