• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Verizon phone in Australia

Edbrady

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
We are going to Australia and New Zealand. Verizon will set up a very expensive plan for us to use our iPhone 5s there, but we could also use Vodaphone in short term arrangements once we get there. The 5 has GSM and should work IF it is not locked to Verizon. The salesman at Verizon says it is not locked. The Apple Store employee says he thinks it is.

Does anyone have experience using a Verizon phone outside the US? If my phone is locked I am not sure how to unlock it. I would appreciate some help with this.

Thanks,

Ed Brady

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon iPhone 5 is SIM unlocked. You can use it with any GSM provider's SIM... yes, Verizon offers some global capabilities you can add to your plan... and they're not cheap. And yes, you can use any providers prepaid, short term services when you get there - not just Vodaphone... one would think Vodaphone would have some reasonable pre-paid packages for visiting Verizon customers since they are part owner of Verizon Wireless... Check their website for further details.

Edbrady

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the quick and helpful reply. I had already checked with Vodaphone and they do have some reasonable plans -- they said just make sure the phone is unlocked. Sounds like I am all set

Thanks,

Ed

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman