Verizon increases wait time on upgrades, introduces stricter policies

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
[h=1]Verizon increases wait time on upgrades, introduces stricter policies[/h][INFO]Verizon today announced that upgrades will now take longer, extending the wait time from 20 to 24 months, and that they'll be harder to get, disallowing upgrades between device types. Here's the new deal, according to Verizon:

• In alignment with the terms of the contract, customers on a two-year agreement will be eligible for an upgrade at 24 months vs. today's early upgrade eligibility at 20 months. This change aligns the upgrade date with the contract end date and is consistent with how the majority of customers purchase new phones today. The first customers impacted by this change are customers whose contracts expire in January 2014. As always, customers may purchase a new phone at the full retail price at any time.
  • Customers also have the option of purchasing a phone at full price at any point before their contract expires and beginning April 21, some devices will be available for purchase through the Verizon Wireless Device Payment Plan.
  • The New Every Two program ended in January of 2011. Verizon Wireless has continued to allow customers to utilize these expired credits. However, as of April 15, these credits will no longer be available.
  • Customers may continue to share an upgrade with another person on an account if that customer is upgrading to a device within the same equipment category. Customers can utilize a phone upgrade to purchase a new phone; however, the option to transfer upgrades from non-phone devices (such as a Jetpack or tablet) will no longer be available.
The reason for the changes, apparently, is that competition is so strong in the US, networks so equally robust and performant, consumers enjoy so many and such varied choice, that Verizon feels confident they can be even less customer friendly and anyone who doesn't like it can just switch to any of the other dozens and dozens of options.
No, wait. That's an alternate universe. Verizon's doing it because they can, and unless you're lucky enough to work, live, and play in a place where one of the other carriers is cheaper and better, they know you're stuck with them.
Or maybe that's just me. How do you feel about Verizon's new upgrade policy?
Source: Verizon

[/INFO]

If you are with Verizon what do you think??

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't see an issue with this. I don't upgrade often anyway. I like the option to purchase on payment plan without extending contract as I understand it. I have not had an issue with service through Verizon like I did with sprint and tmobile. I would never look at att

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I was talking with a verizon rep last week and he said with this policy change they are likely moving to a no contract model in the future. This policy change is a step in that direction.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was talking with a verizon rep last week and he said with this policy change they are likely moving to a no contract model in the future. This policy change is a step in that direction.

I can see that happening and I believe that wireless providers want to do away with subsidies anyway.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It's sad the originator doesn't realize Verizon, and other providers, are middle men in the phone sales.

If you can find the same price with Verizon as you can with apple, it's absurd to put the responsibility on Verizon for the price.

Yeah. My only issue is Verizon changing the upgrade option from 20 months to 24 months. Yeah I know it's only a four month difference but they seem to always change something up every year

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. My only issue is Verizon changing the upgrade option from 20 months to 24 months. Yeah I know it's only a four month difference but they seem to always change something up every year

If it's on a year cycle, it doesn't really phase you any.

If the updates come out just a little bit faster, that's where you would find issues with the few months.

Really though, I've only upgraded 3 times and I've been on Verizon since 2005. I think I'll be alright with the few months. I'm not sure how others will take it.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If it's on a year cycle, it doesn't really phase you any.

If the updates come out just a little bit faster, that's where you would find issues with the few months.

Really though, I've only upgraded 3 times and I've been on Verizon since 2005. I think I'll be alright with the few months. I'm not sure how others will take it.

Wow you only upgraded 3 times since 05?? I usually get tired of a phone around the first year so I know it's going to get to me. My 4s is the only device I haven't got sick of yet. I might just hold on to my upgrade I have that's coming up in may, but that new galaxy s4 is tempting me lol.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same way upgrade yearly lol

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My neighbor actually works for a VZW corporate store and in asking him yesterday he told me everyones current upgrade and contract would be honored. After April 21 anyone new coming on it will be 24 months for upgrade, the term of their contract.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
My neighbor actually works for a VZW corporate store and in asking him yesterday he told me everyones current upgrade and contract would be honored. After April 21 anyone new coming on it will be 24 months for upgrade, the term of their contract.
Then why are they saying come 4/21/13, anyone with an upgrade date on or after 9/1/13 will have their upgrade date aligned with their end of contract date? That is what the announcement said and it is what I have repeatedly been told by reps when I call.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2