Touch screen Mac

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Apple needs a touch screen lay top or full OS iPad. Apple and most articles have missed the point. I am a professional and I work paperless (paper note books really? Paper hand outs?). I mostly read documents and attend meetings. I always read documents on an iPad Pro. I like the tactile nature and to be able to make notes, highlight and underline with the Apple Pencil like a paper document. I hate reading papers on a screen on the other side of a key board. Never make notes with a key board. Tactile writing is more creative. I use a digital note pad. When sitting at my desk surfing the web, writing emails or creating MS Office items I much prefer the large screen key board and mouse with a full OS. Apple makes me use two devices. Well more; a MacBook Pro, keyboard and mouse at the desk and an iPad keyboard and pencil with documents and all meetings. That’s a fist full to replace. MS does it all with a Surface laptop and mouse. Other suppliers have great options too. I was an early adopter with the iPad (3rd now). Others followed. Now most of my colleagues are paperless, over half are now PC and over half of them are MS surface. I’m involved with two consulting firms where the feild force use MS Surface. Much as I love Apple it is a big ask to replace two devices with peripherals when I could buy one MS Surface and a handy fold flat mouse. The comments about reaching out to navigate on the screen are rubbish. At a desk it’s all keyboard, mouse and external screen. But slip into a meeting and it’s all fold over the screen, pick up the pencil and start writing. Really there is no comparison. Jump on a plane with a heavy MacBook Pro plus iPad, cover keyboard and mouse and two chargers or just an MS Surface and folding mouse. One charger. Apple are either misinformed or milking their customers for two devices. Nice iOS and OS or not
I’m not up for the replacement bill.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Why does Apple “make” you use two devices?

Hint, they don’t. My iPad connects to a BT keyboard at my desk flawlessly. I also have a case for the keyboard, and
it goes in my bag with me when I travel.

If you're only surfing, emailing, and creating documents to be used on mobile devices, then it sounds like the iPad fulfills your needs
and a MacBook Pro is overkill.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Hint, they don’t. My iPad connects to a BT keyboard at my desk flawlessly. I also have a case for the keyboard, and

If you're only surfing, emailing, and creating documents to be used on mobile devices, then it sounds like the iPad fulfills your needs

‘Nuf said...:)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If a Surface fits your needs, why not go with that? From what I’ve seen, it’s an amazing device.

BTW...Welcome to iMore Hope you enjoy the forums!!!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
OP has a point....having a capable 'desk- & laptop' computer w keyboard (which iPad still isn't), a tablet and a (pencil) notes taking device in one physical unit is a very appealing thing. Also, the new Surfaces (Pro 7, X), look very attractive.

However, I personally like Mac OS so much better than Windows (migrated to a Mac from Windows less than a year ago, after ~30 years with DOS/Windows), and on the Mac there are so few of these typical 'stupidities' that one has to deal with daily, when using Windows, that for me there is no way back - as appealing as a Surface might be.

On top of this, Windows sucks even more as a tablet OS, imho. So no way I would like to replace my iPad with a Windows device.

So yes, Apples does in fact 'make' ME use 2 different devices....because FOR ME, the entire package and the single products are superior to the current MS alternatives. I do like the idea of having one device only that fits all purposes - currently there is no such option for me - maybe one day, if MS further improves W10, and tablet mode in particular.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Apple needs a touch screen lay top or full OS iPad. Apple and most articles have missed the point. I am a professional and I work paperless (paper note books really? Paper hand outs?). I mostly read documents and attend meetings. I always read documents on an iPad Pro. I like the tactile nature and to be able to make notes, highlight and underline with the Apple Pencil like a paper document. I hate reading papers on a screen on the other side of a key board. Never make notes with a key board. Tactile writing is more creative. I use a digital note pad. When sitting at my desk surfing the web, writing emails or creating MS Office items I much prefer the large screen key board and mouse with a full OS. Apple makes me use two devices. Well more; a MacBook Pro, keyboard and mouse at the desk and an iPad keyboard and pencil with documents and all meetings. That’s a fist full to replace. MS does it all with a Surface laptop and mouse. Other suppliers have great options too. I was an early adopter with the iPad (3rd now). Others followed. Now most of my colleagues are paperless, over half are now PC and over half of them are MS surface. I’m involved with two consulting firms where the feild force use MS Surface. Much as I love Apple it is a big ask to replace two devices with peripherals when I could buy one MS Surface and a handy fold flat mouse. The comments about reaching out to navigate on the screen are rubbish. At a desk it’s all keyboard, mouse and external screen. But slip into a meeting and it’s all fold over the screen, pick up the pencil and start writing. Really there is no comparison. Jump on a plane with a heavy MacBook Pro plus iPad, cover keyboard and mouse and two chargers or just an MS Surface and folding mouse. One charger. Apple are either misinformed or milking their customers for two devices. Nice iOS and OS or not
I’m not up for the replacement bill.

Couldn’t you just buy a touch screen monitor and use it with your Mac Pro?

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site

I am keen on photography, have a Konica mirrorless with a couple of lenses and a drone. Edit photos and sometimes video on my Laptop. Last time I looked there was no SD slot and IO to USB storage devices not supported on the iPad. The camera will transfer by WIFI, clunky and slow. The DJI will not. SD is the quickest way and I can use multiple cards. I know there is a reader, but functionality is limited with my older iPad Pro. I also carry my photo library on a small USB drive to avoid mobile data use when away.
MS Office is a little clunky on the iPad. I create and sometimes edit large .pdf presentations. Add images and transitions. Not really practical with an iPad. My financial nd tax accounts accounts are on a large spreadsheet with multiple tabs. A lot of data extraction. I upload from the bank on CSV. Not an iPad task. Sometimes I have to work with large word docs in mark-up, perhaps a Sale and Purchase agreement with 00s of pages. Not really an iPad task. I like to work with a large screen and mouse at my desk. You can run a big screen off an iPad and there is a work around for a mouse. Both pretty average, the iPad a a couple of years old. An iPad is not really a desktop. So I have Mac Pro. Could probably get away with a new Air. But no OS device is currently not an option.

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
OP has a point....having a capable 'desk- & laptop' computer w keyboard (which iPad still isn't), a tablet and a (pencil) notes taking device in one physical unit is a very appealing thing. Also, the new Surfaces (Pro 7, X), look very attractive.

However, I personally like Mac OS so much better than Windows (migrated to a Mac from Windows less than a year ago, after ~30 years with DOS/Windows), and on the Mac there are so few of these typical 'stupidities' that one has to deal with daily, when using Windows, that for me there is no way back - as appealing as a Surface might be.

On top of this, Windows sucks even more as a tablet OS, imho. So no way I would like to replace my iPad with a Windows device.

So yes, Apples does in fact 'make' ME use 2 different devices....because FOR ME, the entire package and the single products are superior to the current MS alternatives. I do like the idea of having one device only that fits all purposes - currently there is no such option for me - maybe one day, if MS further improves W10, and tablet mode in particular.
Thanks Gnirkatto. Yes I prefer Apple to MS any day. The problem is being forced into using paper to work, which really does not fit me. My iPad carries a lot of documents with notes and comments. If I printed them to write on you would half fill a small van. SO it is a brilliant tool. But even the costly top of the line new iPad is not a full OS or desktop replacement. So I am forced to which os to MS or buy two devices next time I have to replace my kit. Cheers

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Couldn’t you just buy a touch screen monitor and use it with your Mac Pro?

Not sure what you are suggesting. I stick my iPad and pencil in a sachet and get in my car or on my motorbike and head to meetings where i work with .PDF documents that I have read and notated by hand and make further notes on the documents or in Notepad, head to a cafe and maybe read and annotate another document, clear my mail and the repeat. When AT my desk I either have a 30" or 24" monitor, keyboard and mouse. Thinking of getting a second 24". I have no desire to touch my screen at that point.

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Gnirkatto. Yes I prefer Apple to MS any day. The problem is being forced into using paper to work, which really does not fit me. My iPad carries a lot of documents with notes and comments. If I printed them to write on you would half fill a small van. SO it is a brilliant tool. But even the costly top of the line new iPad is not a full OS or desktop replacement. So I am forced to which os to MS or buy two devices next time I have to replace my kit. Cheers

...to switch from OS to ....

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
‘Nuf said...:)

What he said...;)

I am keen on photography, have a Konica mirrorless with a couple of lenses and a drone. Edit photos and sometimes video on my Laptop. Last time I looked there was no SD slot and IO to USB storage devices not supported on the iPad. The camera will transfer by WIFI, clunky and slow. The DJI will not. SD is the quickest way and I can use multiple cards. I know there is a reader, but functionality is limited with my older iPad Pro. I also carry my photo library on a small USB drive to avoid mobile data use when away.
MS Office is a little clunky on the iPad. I create and sometimes edit large .pdf presentations. Add images and transitions. Not really practical with an iPad. My financial nd tax accounts accounts are on a large spreadsheet with multiple tabs. A lot of data extraction. I upload from the bank on CSV. Not an iPad task. Sometimes I have to work with large word docs in mark-up, perhaps a Sale and Purchase agreement with 00s of pages. Not really an iPad task. I like to work with a large screen and mouse at my desk. You can run a big screen off an iPad and there is a work around for a mouse. Both pretty average, the iPad a a couple of years old. An iPad is not really a desktop. So I have Mac Pro. Could probably get away with a new Air. But no OS device is currently not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
If a Surface fits your needs, why not go with that? From what I’ve seen, it’s an amazing device.

BTW...Welcome to iMore Hope you enjoy the forums!!!

Hi nikkisharif. Good point and thanks. Love the Apple operating systems and the ecosystem. On any one day there might be 10 Apple devices running in my family home which is also my office. Earthing syncs through iCloud. So moving to MS would be a big jump.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi nikkisharif. Good point and thanks. Love the Apple operating systems and the ecosystem. On any one day there might be 10 Apple devices running in my family home which is also my office. Earthing syncs through iCloud. So moving to MS would be a big jump.

Gotcha!! I understand & that’s tough. Maybe Apple will make iPadOS more robust, as time goes along. I figured that was the whole point of the separating iPad from iOS.

kiwipaul

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Gotcha!! I understand & that’s tough. Maybe Apple will make iPadOS more robust, as time goes along. I figured that was the whole point of the separating iPad from iOS.

When iPad launched it was light years ahead of everything. Well took a while to overcome Jobs stylus phobia. I’m on my third and have led my colleagues in going completely paperless. Now most have followed. Early MS touch screen windows was garbage. But they have sorted it and my colleagues are now all buying MS machines and more Surfaces than anything. I feel Apple led the field for a period and are now just trying to milk it with pricey iPads. No longer actually leading in much, other than a friendly OS and iOS.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While I agree I'd love a touch screen MacBook Pro with detachable screen, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay what Apple would charge for it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855