Time Capsule Data Transfer Molasses Slow! How Can I Speed It Up?

w222011

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Time Capsule Data Transfer Molasses Slow!

Data Transfer from Time Capsule to New 27" 2015 iMac says for about 1TB it's 18 hours and 50 minutes and it's really counting down correctly. I have the Time Capsule connected via wired ethernet.

I've tried from old 2009 or so Mac to new 2015 Mac and of course it's even slower.

What's funny is the Wireless might be the fastest although I paused it just to go back to what I knew would still work (hard wired direct from backup).

I'm also performing a Time Machine backup on an external hard drive but that as well is taking nearly 15 hours.

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Time Capsule Data Transfer Molasses Slow!

I've long stopped doing Time Machine backups due to it taking what seemed to be forever to do. Why it's slow, I do not know. Granted, I am still using the Time Capsule that I bought in 2009, but I only use it for Wi-Fi purposes and as an external drive.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I have the latest model Time Capsule and have no issues with backup times. Then again my wifi is fast and my MacBook is a late 2014 model so data transfers pretty quickly.

w222011

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

Yesterday the 2015 Mac stated 18 hours to go, now it states 57 minutes remain at 11 MBps via hard-wired ethernet but it's definitely not going down. The Mac isn't frozen though and I feel the hard drive reading but not super rapidly. Is there any advanced view function of the transfer to see where it's at? A simple blue progress bar and minutes isn't very promising.

w222011

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

To be more specific btw, it's at "Transferring Documents for the user......" but that's it. I wanted to know if the transfer normally stalls here or not.

I did perform a full backup on a regular hard drive and it's done. I think I'm going to go straight to that instead, this could be here forever.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site

I backed up my late 2011 iMac a few days ago with a Western Digital Passport drive that is USB 3 compatible. It took about ~14 hours to backup, so I did it overnight and it was done the next day.

I purchased the new late 2015 iMac with 4Ghz i7 and 3TB Fusion Drive, and using the same drive and USB connection, it's estimating the time to fully restore the new iMac is a bit over 2 hours. It's been going for about 20 minutes or so, and only has an hour and 47 minutes left. I'm getting an average transfer rate for about 103MB/s, which is pretty good.

I'm not sure I would do a full restore off a network drive unless I absolutely had to. Too many bottlenecks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy