Texts to one person are being received by someone else. How?

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Today I was sending text messages to a friend of mine. I was getting replies that she doesn't know me. I figured she was just messing with me so I played along until it seemed like something wasn't right (like when she said she was going to call the police). Come to find out that her daughter's phone was receiving my texts. My friend and I both have AT&T. I have an iPhone 5 and she has a 4S. Her daughter who is 9, has a Verizon iPhone 4 that was bought on Craigslist. It's not even active for phone calls. She can just use it to go online with a WiFi connection.

I would ask if this is even possible but it's happening. The only thing that I can think of is many the text app on the daughter's phone was configured to receive texts that are supposed to goto the Mom? I've never come across this before. Oh, and the texts that I sent my friend, she got those on her phone too. She could see our conversation.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Today I was sending text messages to a friend of mine. I was getting replies that she doesn't know me. I figured she was just messing with me so I played along until it seemed like something wasn't right (like when she said she was going to call the police). Come to find out that her daughter's phone was receiving my texts. My friend and I both have AT&T. I have an iPhone 5 and she has a 4S. Her daughter who is 9, has a Verizon iPhone 4 that was bought on Craigslist. It's not even active for phone calls. She can just use it to go online with a WiFi connection.

I would ask if this is even possible but it's happening. The only thing that I can think of is many the text app on the daughter's phone was configured to receive texts that are supposed to goto the Mom? I've never come across this before. Oh, and the texts that I sent my friend, she got those on her phone too. She could see our conversation.

I would assume that the 9-year old's device is configured with mom's Apple ID in regard to iMessage. At least that is my initial guess.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Her daughter's phone is probably configured with the same iTunes ID (email) and the mom. At least to receive iMessages.

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I got it figured it. Come to find that the boyfriend updated the phone last night and it was synced to her iTunes account. Seems like the only thing that carried over was that account iMessage was turned on and that was about it. I had her turn all of the messaging off and clear out the e-mail address that was in there. Phone number couldn't be deleted. After that, the texts stopped.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ya last used number stays but won't activate so no worry there .. .. If it was texts and not iMessages I would be freaked out

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As I read this thread I flashed back to my BlackBerry days. After I did an OS update (officially released by Verizon), all of my contacts either switched names or the digits in each person's number were jumbled. I irritated A LOT of people that day!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's interesting. You would've had some explaining to do just like Lucy.

---------- Post Merged at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Wow that's interesting. You would've had some explaining to do just like Lucy.

Mapex

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I still find it hilarious that the 9 year old was threatening to call the police on you, especially since she was the daughter of the person you were trying to contact in the first place. Did she never meet you? :p

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Even worst, when she said she'd call the police, I told her that I like handcuffs. Then she said she'd call the FBI, so I told her that I was the FBI... female body inspector. A couple minutes after I realized that it wasn't her mom. I was thinking, maybe her boyfriend had her phone. Then I got messages telling me to call so I figured why not. I have nothing to hide. My friend answered her phone and was like, no... I haven't been texting you.

I met the daughter a few times. She's even played with my kids but she hasn't seen me in awhile.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Even worst, when she said she'd call the police, I told her that I like handcuffs. Then she said she'd call the FBI, so I told her that I was the FBI... female body inspector. A couple minutes after I realized that it wasn't her mom. I was thinking, maybe her boyfriend had her phone. Then I got messages telling me to call so I figured why not. I have nothing to hide. My friend answered her phone and was like, no... I haven't been texting you.

I met the daughter a few times. She's even played with my kids but she hasn't seen me in awhile.

You new name will now be FBI lol

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I ran into the same problem with my folks. My mom and dad share an Apple ID, and my dad started getting her messages. I resolved it by removing my mom's email address from her contact information so iMessage connected by phone number instead of Apple ID. Other alternative is to disable iMessage on the other device if you want to keep using the same ID on both.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77