Testing out an iPad - benefits?

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently an iPhone 4 owner/lover & have been considering an iPad recently. If I'm honest, the main thing that has stopped me buying one is the fact that I'm not too sure what I'd benefit/gain from owning one - as I already own an iP4 & a pretty decent Win7 laptop which I'm quite happy with (despite secretly wanting MacBook Pro).

So tomorrow I'm testing out an iPad (basic wifi 16gb), which a friend has just bought but is not using. My question is, what benefits will the iPad bring me? What do most of you guys primarily use yours for & how/why/when do you use it in conjunction with your iPhones?

Cheers,
Steve

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Steve,
Personally, i'm not using my iPad either since the iP4 has entered my life. the iOS 3.2.2 on the iPad seems antiquated and its difficult to view the screen with the 15 pages of apps. Also, the display seems sub-par compared to the iP4.

on the other hand, it IS a great Instant-On solution.

gilroykilroy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I use my iPad for quick web browsing, checking email, and entertainment. A phone screen is just too small to effectively do any of those for any period of time.

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
I use it everywhere and is my main device. At work, I take notes (Evernote) and pull up data via Citrix and at home I use it for web, Hulu+, gaming, mail, News (Twitter plus Instapaper), Tasks (Todo), productivity (Office) much more!

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies! Using it at the mo, having just synced it. Liking it so far.

Quick question, is there an affective way of managing iPhone/iPad apps within iTunes? Just that I have various apps on the iPad now that I can't use & don't want to install new ones on here & then have them appear on my iPhone next time I sync it or back it up & vice-versa.

Thanks,
Steve

Trodecke

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about an effective way but I usually let the apps sync across (I have an iPod, not an iPhone) then delete the ones I don't want on that platform. Once deleted from that platform, they're gone for good and don't re-appear on the next sync. For example, the iPod has lots of games on it for my sons. I don't really want a ton of games on my iPad so I delete them when iTunes loads them up. I also don't necessarily want my paid productivity apps on the iPod so again, I delete those from the iPod.

Alternatively I suppose you could use seperate iTunes accounts but that would keep you from sharing any paid apps.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
You could also uncheck sync new apps and then manually check them. I would think that would be more annoying than just deleting them though.

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
So if I delete my iPhone 4 apps from the iPad, when I resync the iPhone with iTunes it won't delete/remove those apps from the phone?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently an iPhone 4 owner/lover & have been considering an iPad recently. If I'm honest, the main thing that has stopped me buying one is the fact that I'm not too sure what I'd benefit/gain from owning one - as I already own an iP4 & a pretty decent Win7 laptop which I'm quite happy with (despite secretly wanting MacBook Pro).

So tomorrow I'm testing out an iPad (basic wifi 16gb), which a friend has just bought but is not using. My question is, what benefits will the iPad bring me? What do most of you guys primarily use yours for & how/why/when do you use it in conjunction with your iPhones?

Cheers,
Steve
I don't own any other modern Apple device, but I have a 64GB iPad. I use it for browsing, email, Netflix, remote access to my pc's, games, comic books and other book reading, podcasts, etc.

And, since my accident, it's been even more convenient, since it is so small, light, and less dependent on a power supply because I've been flying with a broken wing.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm coming from a droid, so the iPad has more of a benefit- it's a whole new ecosystem of apps. But even then I just use it to readl, surf the web in bed before i go to sleep. Before id read a book or magazine. I guess I'm still trying to figure out what its useful for.

Although it is extremely handy for trips where you need a computer for basic stuff, cuts down on packing. I recently went on a weekend trip and instead of bringing the laptop, I just brought the iPad. Worked flawlessly and since I was gone for a short time, i just charged up and didn't even bring the charger.

katiiegm

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
IPad Benefits

I have had my IPad for less than a month and before my husband surprised me with it for my birthday I could not think of a legitimate thing I needed it for. But now that i have it, i read the paper in bed in the morning, read books, surf the web, handle email, IM with my kids, do daily crossword puzzles, watch movies. (and it doesn't get hot!!!) I also take it with me on short trips instead of my MacBook Pro - using logmein to access my laptop at home, edit documents with Docs to Go and sync files with DropBox.While theoretically I could do all of that with my Iphone, in reality it just is not practical with a tiny screen. My husband has started making cracks about creating a monster since I always seem to have the IPad in my hands.

I love it!

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The iPad will bring you the benefit of not having to lug around you win7 machine. In fact, from my own experience and from my friends' experience, you may find that other than for real work-related purposes, you wont need the heavy laptop at all.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Big difference betwee not needing that laptop and not lugging it around.

I don't lug the laptop around much but I am not abandoning it - if only because of the iPad's limitations and dependence on iTunes.

GlennEU

Sep 10, 2010
Glenn.eu
I'm a huge PC user and since i got my iPad my PC usage has dropped over 50% and more ! Just such a handy little device to use everywhere !
Email, youtube, twitter, video, photos, radio, news, apps!, remote desktop is even fun :)

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses, guys! Have had the iPad a good couple of weeks now & am loving it, so definitely keeping it. Have spent a small fortune on apps for it & have a nice new iLuv cover for it too. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnnybobble53