Strangely MP4 files saved on external USB show up as blank folders with .mp4 extension when accessed from Files app

ssimlai

Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
I have been working with some mp4 files saved on two external drives, one, a flash drive, formatted as exFAT and the other, a Sandisk SSD formatted as NTFS, both containing the same files. I keep the exFAT just in case small edits or file movements are needed. Normally however I have been using the SSD 1tb past 6 months.

And then came update 16.4.1, after which none of the mp4 files would work in Files app. All that i could see was empty folders of the same name as the original mp4 files with an extension .mp4, for example train.mp4 file is now a blank folder named train.mp4. However there are other files too on those two drives - MKV, pdf etc - they didn’t have a problem. MKV doesn’t work in Files but they did appear as normal video files, not folders.

Upon advice from Apple community forum, I carried out a Reset All Settings. That worked wonders and I was able to now see the mp4 files on the external drives, and even play them. Till after the battery drained out and I charged it to bring it back to normal state….lo behold - same problem again. Back at square one.

Amy help would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.png
    IMG_0080.png
    365.9 KB · Views: 1

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have been working with some mp4 files saved on two external drives, one, a flash drive, formatted as exFAT and the other, a Sandisk SSD formatted as NTFS, both containing the same files. I keep the exFAT just in case small edits or file movements are needed. Normally however I have been using the SSD 1tb past 6 months.

And then came update 16.4.1, after which none of the mp4 files would work in Files app. All that i could see was empty folders of the same name as the original mp4 files with an extension .mp4, for example train.mp4 file is now a blank folder named train.mp4. However there are other files too on those two drives - MKV, pdf etc - they didn’t have a problem. MKV doesn’t work in Files but they did appear as normal video files, not folders.

Upon advice from Apple community forum, I carried out a Reset All Settings. That worked wonders and I was able to now see the mp4 files on the external drives, and even play them. Till after the battery drained out and I charged it to bring it back to normal state….lo behold - same problem again. Back at square one.

Amy help would be welcome.
I just wanted to quickly say hello, and to welcome you to iMore.

ssimlai

Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
Sharing in the event it helps. https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/external-storage-devices-ipad75b7b23f/16.0/ipados/16.0 indicates iPad OS supports exFAT. Some articles/posts online indicate that Paragon may be an option for MacOS.
Hi thanks for sharing. Unfortunately and as I think I’ve mentioned, even a small 256 gb flas drive isn’t working AFTER the update. So yes thanks a lot for your condensed help, but the issue has cropped up only later so there’s no way that the drive gained additional power requirement.

Reactions: Trees

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2