• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Still a physical silence switch? Sigh.

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Was surprised Apple is still going with the manual silence switch on the X. Would have thought by now, this would be handled through the software, like the recent iPads. Even so, I’ve had my X now for 72 hours and just can’t seem to put it down. Love it! Especially since I was able to cover the cost without using out of pocket money.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone not want the physical silence switch. Personally, it’s one of the things I appreciate on the iPhone. To each their own I guess.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You’re literally the first person I’ve ever heard say that you don’t like the silent switch. I suppose it’s a matter of personal preference. I tend to switch silent mode on and off throughout the day and the physical switch is functionally much more convenient than using a software switch in Control Center.
Glad you’re enjoying your iPhone X overall! It’s an awesome device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Was surprised Apple is still going with the manual silence switch on the X. Would have thought by now, this would be handled through the software, like the recent iPads. Even so, I’ve had my X now for 72 hours and just can’t seem to put it down. Love it! Especially since I was able to cover the cost without using out of pocket money.

The iPhone X is an awesome device, in my opinion, and like you, I enjoy us by it a great deal. Congratulations on getting your new iPhone X and I hope your enjoyment of us big it continues. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I personally like the physical silence switch and hope they never get rid of it. I can look and see if the red line is exposed, I know I am on silent mode instead of scrolling though another software menu function.

eyesopen1111

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I also like the physical mute switch because it allows me to be sure that my phone won’t interrupt something important. Plus, you can check the mute status of your iPhone either by looking at it from across the room or by feeling your phone in your pocket.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the fence here. While I kinda like the physical switch, the watch doesn't have it and I really like that.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly this is one of the reasons why I stay on the iPhone. It’s so great even one + copied it with a few extra features.

anon(6014961)

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Switch every time, love it. I put my phone on silent at work and being able to slide my hand in my pocket and be able to tell it’s on silent is great.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The silent switch is unique for the iPhones. Other brands had software solutions and as far as I know Apple is the only one with a physical switch. I like the physical switch.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The silent switch is unique for the iPhones. Other brands had software solutions and as far as I know Apple is the only one with a physical switch. I like the physical switch.

There are a couple Android phones that do (One+ is one brand that does)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Another vote for loving the switch. I like that I can flick it while in my pocket to put the phone on silent and never have to take it out of my pocket or turn the screen on.

Carraser23

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think the physical switch is one of the best features of the iPhone. I hated having to unlock my phone and pull down the notification shade just to change my sound profile on Android.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman