Speech Central: Take Web On Walk

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
The app was marked as Xamarin app of the week at its announcement, and it is based on significantly improved top chart Windows app Share to Speech, pushing the mobility of web to previously uncovered boundaries (like browsing the web while running).

It is available on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speech-central-take-web-on/id1127349155?ls=1&mt=8&at=10l3Vy. It is also fully compatible with iPad.

screen off5.png

Speech Central is the only app that lets you enjoy the Internet with the screen off. It uses headphones or Bluetooth hands-free for reading aloud and receiving commands for the interactive browsing of web sites headlines. Finally you can completely keep up with the news while you perform another activity whether it is commuting, jogging, housework or something else. That way you'll save your time and eyes for better things while having your battery and data plan last significantly longer than when browsing in the standard way and being much less dependent on the availability of a good data connection.

Browsing is supported for any web site that has a page in a form of headlines or RSS feed, and while headlines are being read you can schedule reading of their articles with no screen interaction. Aside from browsing you can add an article for reading from any app that can share a web site link (including every web browser) – just press the Share button in it and starting the speech or saving the article to listen to it later is only a tap away.

The app is not limited to reading the online content, you can import various text file formats to be read aloud - supported document types are: .docx, .pptx, .odt, .odp, .html, .txt and supported e-book formats are .epub and .fb2. All those formats will work only if a document has no DRM.

By using the app you'll build your knowledge base in an easy way. Each read item is automatically moved to the Library which supports powerful search and filtering features. Articles are always available offline. Annotation tools are there to mark an item as favorite, or bookmark an important paragraph in it.

Latest iOS features including 3D Touch, Spotlight Search and Dynamic Type are fully supported. The app is tested to work properly on iOS 9 and 10.

English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Swedish, Dutch, Norwegian and Danish language can be auto detected inside the app, but it can be used with any of 27 languages supported for text to speech by iOS.

The free version has a limitation in the number of items that you can add to it. It is removed by purchasing the Pro add-on.

Get it from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speech-central-take-web-on/id1127349155?ls=1&mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Attachments

• screen off5.png
    screen off5.png
    59 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On behalf of iMore, we wish you the best of success with your app. Take care...

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
There is the new update in the App Store. It includes:

- Customization of mapping of remote control buttons to the app functions
- New remote control buttons - quick volume up down and quick volume down
- New app functions for remote control - Add previous headline to the Reading List, Favorite, Bookmark Current Paragraph
- Bug fixes including that the sharing a link from Google Chrome works properly now

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the update!

Thanks Rob. I am working on the app nearly every day. At the end of the day that is all I can to offer - I don't have some big marketing budget to promote the app, I can only make something that is truly amazing and hopefully with persistence it will get to the people. Community like this is encouraging for sure.

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I guess it is hard to bring new concepts to the masses, e.g. it took many years for the tab browsing to become mainstream. That's why I took a lot of thinking of how to make the app more discoverable for new users and made significant changes regarding that. Also I made more of the app available for free so that people can have a better taste of what the app can bring. You can see all of that in the latest update.

I would appreciate some feedback if I am on the right way. I don't have some big advertising budget, but I do have a great dedication to user needs and improvement of the app, which I hope can result in something good, though I am aware it is an uphill battle.

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
As promised the app is getting a constant updates in its mission to save an hour a day to all web news readers. Here is what's new:
  • Add web sites and articles directly instead adding them only from Safari
  • Play All button available in the footer of the Headlines tab
  • Reorder items in Headlines

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
The app is now the first text to speech app with the Apple Watch app. Browse the web with the watch and headphones!

• Remote Audio Controls
  • Headlines context menu: Add To Articles, Speak Now, Add Previous Title
  • Article context menu: Add To Favorites, Bookmark Paragraph, Trash
  • Glance view

Simulator Screen Shot Feb 28, 2017, 23.12.57.png Simulator Screen Shot Feb 28, 2017, 22.57.30.png*Simulator Screen Shot Feb 28, 2017, 23.12.45.png

Last edited:

labsii

Banned
Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
In August 2019 the app has crossed 10,000 licenses sold on all platforms, so I've decided to celebrate this with a big discount. On 2nd September (it has already started now and may be available on 3rd September too in some time zones) the in-app purchase required to add unlimited amount of the content to the app is discounted from 5.99$ to 0.99$.

The App Store link to get the app is: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/speech-central/id1127349155

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro