• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Something wierd happened. Bad app or glitch?

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Something weird happened. I just downloaded HD 4cast and Songpop. My battery is at 32%. The phone went black and wouldn't respond to anything. Had to reboot. Might I have installed a bad app? Am I worrying about nothing? anyone have any bad issues after d/ling either of these?

Your advice is appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the HD 4Cast? app and I've yet to experience any problems with it, however, I don't have and have never had the other app you mentioned installed so I can't speak for it. It could have been a memory issue of some sort with iOS 6. I get kicked out of an app and back to my home screen at least twice a day for unknown reasons.

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is my crash report. Some interpretation is needed. Thank you in advance for your assistance.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351348171.623134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is my crash report. Some interpretation is needed. Thank you in advance for your assistance.View attachment 21691

The answer is YES... NO I am just making light of just joking around. I wish I could help you but will leave this to some of my more genius friends on here and even then you might want to talk to Apple tech support since you have the screenshot and hopefully they can assist you of this is am occuring problem. I wish you luck and would like to know how it turns out....;)

One last thing is you can also go to the app in iTunes and select the apps support page where they might help as well.

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I keep getting panic.plist crashes, which some research is telling me is a hardware issue that would mean a replacement of my 4S at the Genius bar. Anyone confirm this error before I call Apple and look like a goofball?

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So I had my first experience with Applecare and I am very impressed. I do have a known hardware error that will result in them replacing my 4S. They even made the Genius Bar Appointment for me. I go Friday evening. I have never set foot in an Apple Store before so this will be interesting.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Was going to reply that repetitive panic crashes probably warrant a replacement. Looks like you figured it out and made an appointment with Apple.

Apple stores are all different, but the one near my home is always packed. I could go in on a Thursday afternoon and there will be a couple dozen people in a 1000 sq. ft. store. When you first arrive, just approach someone (usually there's a concierge near the door) and tell them you have a Genius appointment and they'll sign you in.

Before you go, back up your stuff once via iCloud. That way, when you get your replacement, your stuff like contacts, will start downloading immediately.

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I am back from the Apple store. The tech thinks I have a rogue app. I think I know which one it is. However if the crash happens again I am to bring it in for replacement.

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So which app should we all be avoiding?

For me it was Songpop.

I have a bad gut feeling about this. First off the store was busy as heck and I really only spend about 10 minutes with the tech. He couldn't find the Diagnostic screen. I had to show him. When I was talking about the research I did on the panic.plist crash log he stated that I know more then he does about it and when it was remotely connected to my phone he stated that he really didnt have enough data to make a recommendation, so keep doing what you are doing. I really hope he is right, as I really dont want to have to drive the 35 miles back to the store because they were busy. For my first interaction with the Apple store, I was a little disappointed.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
For me it was Songpop.

I have a bad gut feeling about this. First off the store was busy as heck and I really only spend about 10 minutes with the tech. He couldn't find the Diagnostic screen. I had to show him. When I was talking about the research I did on the panic.plist crash log he stated that I know more then he does about it and when it was remotely connected to my phone he stated that he really didnt have enough data to make a recommendation, so keep doing what you are doing. I really hope he is right, as I really dont want to have to drive the 35 miles back to the store because they were busy. For my first interaction with the Apple store, I was a little disappointed.

I have a hard time saying song pop is a issue due to the fact that a lot of people play that game and it works fine no crashing.
If it was a widespread app issue the app reviews should reflect it

I have had a lot of apple techs say I know more than them lol I also try all the basic stuff before I go like restoring set up as new etc so when they try to tell me oh do this or that and send me on my way .. I tell them I did it already and it didn't fix the issue and only explanation is hardware .. Once you explain they norm tend to agree with you and just replace it.
Next time explain how far you drove this is your second time for same issue etc and they should replace it

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, the saga continues. I had another panic.plist crash today, after being crash free for a few days. I got online, and apple support called me (that was cool. Apple has great CS!) the person I had tonight reviewed everything, rad a diagnostic, then consulted with his supervisor. Result is I am making another 35 mile truck into Milwaukee for what I hope to be an exchange, as support said his supervisor approved me for a replacement device. I hope I get a different Genius guy this time.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, the saga continues. I had another panic.plist crash today, after being crash free for a few days. I got online, and apple support called me (that was cool. Apple has great CS!) the person I had tonight reviewed everything, rad a diagnostic, then consulted with his supervisor. Result is I am making another 35 mile truck into Milwaukee for what I hope to be an exchange, as support said his supervisor approved me for a replacement device. I hope I get a different Genius guy this time.

I've always heard a majority of good outcomes with the Apple store. On the 2, maybe 3 times I've called Apples CS, they were always very helpful with helping me out. I've never had to go into the store for any issues tho.

I hope the exchange goes well for you!! Keep us updated on how things go:) good luck!!

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Latest update. Went back to the Apple Store. Had a GREAT genius person, who knew his stuff, and knew how to check everything and knew what I was talking about. He had my new 4S switched over in no time, and because I had iCloud sync'ed there at the store before hand I just had to hang out for about 20 minutes while everything downloaded and sync'ed back up. Had a chance to play with the new iPad and ended up buying one for my wife! ( I have a feeling she will be purchasing one for me as well, i hope). This was the Apple Store I was expecting the first time, and am going to send an email to the manager extolling the guy that helped me.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess there's a "bad" one in every group. I've always had good experiences at the apple store.

That wasn't a bad one necessarily. If he couldn't find evidence of it in the phones logs, then he wouldn't be able to issue a replacement. I've had that happen on occasion. That first trip is usually the trigger, so that if the person comes in a second time for the same issue they can do a replacement.

Also, apple employees are specifically not supposed to mention any known hardware or software issues. Even if they know about them and have been trained on the fix, apple doesn't want their techs to be volunteering that information to customers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman