Sold the iPhone 4...bought a 3GS...

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I commend you for downgrading. My wife has the 3GS and I have the 4 and everytime I pick hers up to do something or fix something... I shutter at the idea of downgrading.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sooooo...i'm back in the iPhone 4 camp again. :D (my wife just rolled her eyes at me when i came home with it because she said i have tech ADD, lol)

Basically, i have a friend at work that just bought an iPhone 4 about a month ago...she loves it but she couldn't afford the larger 32GB version when she went to AT&T (she had to use an early upgrade fee for $399). She was talking to me about some stuff and noticed that i had my 3GS on the dock on my desk and said she always wanted a white iPhone 32GB but they ran out when she bought her black one a couple of years ago...i simply said "Want to trade?", and was making a complete joke, as i had no intention of trading and thought she would just laugh it off.

Right before my shift was over, she came over to my desk and asked "Are you serious about the trade?" and i just looked at her for a second confused as i wasn't sure if she was serious...then i figured she'd ask for money plus my phone...she looked at a bluetooth headset on my desk (old motorola one) that i literally haven't even taken off the charger in prob 6 months, she said "I'll trade you for your 3GS, the bluetooth headset and lunch next week..."

After about 10 seconds of questioning whether i wanted to give up my extra storage, and explaining to her that she cold sell her iP4 and make a profit and buy both the 3GS and headset...she explained she hated eBay and Craigslist and had no time to meet people or ship items...and we made the trade. Thankfully i kept my micro sim from the other one, so i just slapped it in, connected it up and it was good to go!

I honestly have to say, after using it for a couple of days now...i take back what i said about the screen, it is substantially better...no ifs ands or buts about it, it is just a vastly better quality. Speeds are the same which i had no expectation of anything different, tethering seems about the same so i guess my theory was maybe just from the initial "change" (or maybe even from assuming before getting the 3GS that it might be slower, which it wasnt).

All in all, im happy...and i realize now that my next iPhone will no doubt be the 32GB variant. :)

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I think it was a great idea if:

1) You're content with a 3GS until iPhone 5 comes out
2) You made a decent profit (which I'd say you did)

So I see it as a positive.

***Edit.. just saw your latest update.. and dang you are one lucky guy - great trade! :eek:

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with the trade, and it seemed like she was not as content with the iPhone 4 as she thought she was going to be (i honestly think she was down about not having the additional storage space...she is one of our detectives that travels out of state alot and said she was not happy about only having a couple of movies on her iPhone a couple of weeks ago flying to San Fran)...

I was actually fair about it too...i told her if she regretted it within a week and the phones were still in the exact condition they were when we traded, i would trade back...just in case she feels regret after a few days (i talked to her about an hour ago and she was loving the 3GS and i even threw in an old Speck case my wife had that we werent using...some plaid looking one, lol).

I missed this camera something awful... :D ;)

xDAKx

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So my friend came to me the other day and told me that he was seeing the iPhone 4's selling on eBay for crazy prices during the holidays...i checked it out myself and got a little bug inside me that said "Do it Sean! Take advantage of this spike in value!"

So i did...i put it on eBay and within a few hours someone had used Buy It Now for $625 (i sold it straight up with no jailbreak or anything, and the Belkin case i've had on it since the first week i bought it). I was more than a little excited, since i could, essentially go back and buy a brand new iPhone 4 and profit $25, but i decided against it and went on Craigslist and bought a 3GS (white 32GB)...got it for $350 so ended up making $275 off the whole deal...

After having this 3GS for a few days over the Xmas holiday, i have to say that while the screen does looked washed out compared to the retina display, and the pictures are certainly no where near the quality of the iP4's, i'm not all that disappointed, and i don't really miss the iPhone 4 all that much. I seem to get about the same reception i got before (though my tethering seems much faster for some reason, maybe its the locations im in, who knows...), and the phone honestly feels like its functioning at about the same level as my iPhone 4 did...no noticeable lag or glitchy performance.

So with that said, i am again a 3GS owner (and i got a white one like i always wanted, but never got back when the 3GS was a hot commodity)...and to be 100% honest, im still just as happy with the 3GS.

Anyone else downgrade from iP4 back to 3GS? Experience?

This kind of outside the box thinking (what everyone else would call "crazy" or "dumb") is what always interests me, While I'm not in the market to sell my i4 anytime soon, I can definitely see the appeal in selling something (which I personally only paid 199.99 for) for quite a few times more than that.

While reading this I did wonder if I should possibly go about it, but for me a phone is far too important to risk even going a few days without, and so I personally decided against it, Plus for me personally just going back to a 480x360 BlackBerry screen is hard enough, much less going down from my 960x480 resolution to a 320x480 at 163ppi on the 3GS.

(Edit: Well aren't you lucky being back on an i4 after all that. :p)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
screw that. Might as well go back to horse and carriage. While some people may not be able to afford a new i4 and purchase a 3gs instead, i think it's crazy to get an i4 and then downgrade. Now if money is tight and you can make a few hundred bucks....well then yeah.

lol:):):):):):):)

TheJosh

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
So my friend came to me the other day and told me that he was seeing the iPhone 4's selling on eBay for crazy prices during the holidays...i checked it out myself and got a little bug inside me that said "Do it Sean! Take advantage of this spike in value!"

So i did...i put it on eBay and within a few hours someone had used Buy It Now for $625 (i sold it straight up with no jailbreak or anything, and the Belkin case i've had on it since the first week i bought it). I was more than a little excited, since i could, essentially go back and buy a brand new iPhone 4 and profit $25, but i decided against it and went on Craigslist and bought a 3GS (white 32GB)...got it for $350 so ended up making $275 off the whole deal...

After having this 3GS for a few days over the Xmas holiday, i have to say that while the screen does looked washed out compared to the retina display, and the pictures are certainly no where near the quality of the iP4's, i'm not all that disappointed, and i don't really miss the iPhone 4 all that much. I seem to get about the same reception i got before (though my tethering seems much faster for some reason, maybe its the locations im in, who knows...), and the phone honestly feels like its functioning at about the same level as my iPhone 4 did...no noticeable lag or glitchy performance.

So with that said, i am again a 3GS owner (and i got a white one like i always wanted, but never got back when the 3GS was a hot commodity)...and to be 100% honest, im still just as happy with the 3GS.

Anyone else downgrade from iP4 back to 3GS? Experience?

I have thought about this endless times before. I personally like the form of the older 3GS much better than the iPhone 4. The problem is the battery. If the batteries were even comparable then I wouldn't think twice about doing that and would probably be posting this from the 3GS.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ I noticed a slight difference with the 3GS (lower), but it was nothing substantial...perhaps the age of the 3GS or the practice of charging it that the previous owner had, had something to do with it. My newer iPhone 4 seems to have better battery life than the one i sold, its quite nice. :)

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
After using an iPhone 4, I am completely spoiled by the Retina Display...it's just ridiculously good. Every other phone looks blurry and cheap by comparison now.