So it seems apple may be sticking with 8mp camera for the next iPhone

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it's amazing for what it is...and none of the phones on the market aside from the Lumia's are good at low light at all, I'd even venture to say that the 5S is the best of the rest. Now if we want a heavy, large chassis phone, sure, we can have all the expectations of a camera like the Lumia line has, but personally, for the form factor and the camera that is offered in it, it's nothing short of amazing.

A camera with more megapixels isn't going to really improve low light performance...the sensor within the camera system itself is what will do that, combined with the addition of beefier hardware and a more legitimate flash. We're talking about things that are not space saving in the least, and you end up with this bulge in the back like you see with so many cameras on smart phones...think about what people like about the iPhone...many would agree that the design is one of the leading attributes. Would you really want a slightly better low light function at the expense of the design features? I wouldn't.

What I would want is a slightly larger iPhone with a huge battery(2600+ mah) and a better camera sensor for low light. I am not one of the OMG MUST BE SUPER THIN, and would welcome a larger battery even if the device was 1-2mm thicker, which could also allow more room for a larger camera sensor.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The thing is...I don't think you're going to get a substantial improvement with that tiny increase in chassis size, because low light photos require substantial hardware and shutter dynamics. I mean let's look at this...my wife left one of her Canon's out so I snapped a pic in our dining room, thing was like $900 and has a $200 lens on it as well as some probably $75 lens filter, and then the same picture with the iPhone 5S. To me, that is impressive, not even taking into consideration it's a smart phone camera...just impressive in general...

WAsleIO.jpg

NHj8nma.jpg

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I really don't think this will be the case. And as with all rumors you should take them with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well from the iPhone 5 and 5s they still stuck with the 8 megapixel camera but just revamped it and it did make a bit of a difference so whatever they decide to do with the camera? I am pretty sure it will be better then the previous model iPhone

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
8 mp is enough for now. What I want is a wider dynamic range. Right know I can either shoot a beautiful sunset with a completely black land under it or shoot the land and an over-exposed burnt white-ish sky.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Only if they increase their Sensor size to something like 1/2.3 or ATLEAST 1/2.5...Personally I would hope for bit of a step ahead in this department too,Like introducing 1/2 sensor camera,Which won't protrude from behind but would be an Amazing amazing amazing addition cause in the end "YOU CANNOT DENY PHYSICS",the lowlight performance would greatly increase with it (even with a 1/2.3),Guess why? Because Apple's camera post processing algorithms are engineered to the BEST in class,better than anyother offering,lumia,HTC,etc...And How did I make that assumption? Because everyone who owns 5s knows it takes great pictures,reviewers raved about its camera being quite better camera,And guess what 5s has only 1/3 inch sensor,so Just think what Apple can do with 1/2.3 sensor,and it would be a good number because 1/2.3 inch is a standard sensor size for Digital cameras...So Imho it is quite necessary to increase the sensor size,aperture is fine at f/2.2,maybe increase it to f/2.0 then it would do wonders but still,sensor is the main thing....how many of you agree/disagree?? xD

The flash in 5s is just about the best (except xenon flash) a smartphone can have,So as the post processing algorithms,aperture if also fine at f/2.0...just sensor size is quite important,and Maybe join the bandwagon and Add OIS (and btw it really makes some difference)