Simultaneous Voice & Data Possible on VZW 3G

mcforan23

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Thunderbolt will be released on Verion's LTE which can do both, where as the ViPhone will be on Verizon's 3G. CDMA may allow it in the future but by that time most people will have moved on, that's my 2 cents. Hope that helps

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there's a reason the iPhone won't do simultaneous voice and data over the cell phone network: 3G/CDMA technology is not capable of it.

And the Thunderbolt, when in a 3G/CDMA coverage area, won't be able to do it either.

Simultaneous Voice & Data is a 4G/LTE thing on Verizon. And it can be done on GSM systems.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there's a reason the iPhone won't do simultaneous voice and data over the cell phone network: 3G/CDMA technology is not capable of it.

And the Thunderbolt, when in a 3G/CDMA coverage area, won't be able to do it either.

Simultaneous Voice & Data is a 4G/LTE thing on Verizon. And it can be done on GSM systems.

Agreed, The next iPhone being an 4G LTE device will most likely be able to do that. But not the 3G version.

S.meezy#CB

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
taken "straight out of the VZW training":

There is functionality in the Thunderbolt that allows simultaneous voice and data while on the VZW 3G network, however, we cannot promise the experience will be one that is consistent with our brand. As a result, do not reference this functionality as a benefit during your conversations with customers.

i know its an lte phone... but i did not say voice and data while on 4g or the wifis...

phandroid and android-life both have it up... if u would like 2 c for urselves...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
taken "straight out of the VZW training":

There is functionality in the Thunderbolt that allows simultaneous voice and data while on the VZW 3G network, however, we cannot promise the experience will be one that is consistent with our brand. As a result, do not reference this functionality as a benefit during your conversations with customers.

So - you had an answer... and there it is.

The iPhone is not capable of simultaneous voice & data over the cellular network.

S.meezy#CB

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
how is that my answer? :confused:

EDIT: Also, cdma/3G is possible to have this, and the rumor mills were abuzz last year about VZW upgrading to it... voice over rev a...

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
how is that my answer? :confused:

EDIT: Also, cdma/3G is possible to have this, and the rumor mills were abuzz last year about VZW upgrading to it... voice over rev a...

You had an answer about the Thunderbolt... and I gave the answer on the iPhone. My bad.

There is a rumored revision to the 3G/CDMA standard that is said to be capable of simultaneous voice & data - and it's something that the phone has to be capable of doing. The current crop of 3G/CDMA - EVDO.REV.A phones can't do it, and the iPhone is one of those.

highlife

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

This.

Even though the training tells us that the Thunderbolt will be capable of doing both even in a 3G area, I'm a bit skeptical.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
One can hope if you have an open mind.

but as said LTE will be seperate from CDMA as it has its own chip. Like with my EVO,. I have a wimax chip, along with the Cellular chip.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
so... being that the Thunderbolt will be able to do it, any reason the iPhone wouldn't?

Verizon's LTE network is data only for now as far as I've read. All cellular/voice calls will go out/in over CDMA. With a radio for each the software could manage to hold both connections I imagine.

When you leave LTE coverage though it should be back to business as usual.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

actually it is possible on cdma just not the kind verizon is using right now which is why the new chip in the thunderbolt allows it to do it on 3g cdma. look it up

captriker

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My understanding:

Thunderbolt will do Voice over 3G and Data over 4G in select coverage areas. Simultaneous Voice/Data over 3G won't be supported (despite rumors to the contrary.)

Verizon's 3G network could (read again COULD) provide simultaneous voice and data if Verizon were to apply a software upgrade to it's 3G infrastructure. The upgrade is costly since it means touching each unit so Verizon hasn't planned to do it. Devices that support EVDO Rev.B would be required (I'm most sketchy on this part.)

LTE does not have a voice channel but instead operates more like VoIP (or VoLTE.) Voice is treated like any other application on the phone so simultaneous voice/data is possible, but most current devices use a 3G radio to provide voice service. Verizon and others are testing VoLTE for the future. Supposedly the new LG 4G LTE handset has done VoLTE but until the LTE network is in greater deployment you won't see it in widespread use. Safer to leave voice to the 3G radio.

varucell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
SVDO will allow it. The thunderbolt does do 3g voice and data. I wish people would look this up. It has been confirmed by htc

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vber