Running with Apple Watch and Airpods.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I leave my phone inside charging while I use the Nike App on Apple Watch to start a run. My Airpods automatically connect to Apple Watch once I press play in the Music App on the Watch after switching to internal music playback. It’s an incredibly freeing experience to have controls on the Watch for music and still use the Airpods just like I still had my iPhone. Originally, these items were accessories of the iPhone that made usage with iPhone better, but using both together makes them feel slightly more independent. Has anyone else tried using just the Airpods and Apple Watch?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I did to test it out on my first gen Watch and have to say it’s liberating to not have to carry around your iPhone for music. Unfortunately or luckily, depending on your perspective I’m not often in a situation that I need to leave my phone.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm more of a cyclist so like to have my phone when I need to call for help in the event of a crash or something so generally don't leave without it but I have done the occasional loop without it and it is unnoticed due to the quality of AW and APs

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine is the 1st gen watch which I don't know is fast enough to bother doing much with it without my phone. Maybe when I update/upgrade it'd be more likely.