[REVIEW] eufy Smart Plug Mini

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
https://youtu.be/J2rrfJuPJmU

eufy (no, this isn’t a typo), is a smart-home oriented company that is built around making life easier, through automation and convenience. You may or may not be surprised by this, but their products are powered by Anker, which is the parent company. As with Anker, eufy makes a great many different products, at great prices. Not only are they well priced, but they also perform very well and have reputation for exceptional performance and build quality. I have previously reviewed two of their RoboVacs, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Well, now I have ventured out a little further into eufy territory, to bring you back this review on their fancy new Smart Plug Mini.

1.jpg

What is it: A smart plug is a wall outlet that is connected via Wi-Fi, that enables you to turn it on/off either through an app, or voice command (if it’s connected to some sort of smart device). This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but pretty much all of them allow you to turn them on/off at will, or program scheduled times for them to turn on/off. The only real limitation to this is the products you plug into them, or your imagination. For instance, if you don’t feel like reaching over to turn your lamp off at night, you can use the app to turn it off. Alternatively, if you have a smart assistant/hub, you can say “Google, turn off my light” and VOILA!

2.jpg

Features: The Smart Plug Mini has more features than just the ability to turn on/off. As I mentioned above, it can be integrated with a smart hub so that you can use Google Assistant or Alexa to turn it on or off, simply by using the appropriate command, which starts with “OK Google” or “Hey Alexa.” Additionally, you can set timers and even monitor electricity usage, which is a real plus for me. I wake up at 6am every morning for work and I have mine programmed Monday through Friday to automatically turn on at 6am, which is really nice – just make sure you adjust it for holidays so you don’t accidentally interrupt some extra Zzzz time. The electricity usage monitor is really nice too because you can actually look and a see how much power your appliances and electric devices are pulling. For instance, you can connect this straight into your TV or Xbox and see how much electricity it uses over time, which I think is pretty nifty.

3.jpg

Connectivity: The eufy Smart Plug Mini has a leg up on some of the competition when it comes to connectivity – you can control it without having to use a “hub”. Some smart products require the use of a hub, generally a Google or Alexa powered, for you to conrol the device, especially when it comes to voice commands. Well, the eufy Smart Plug Mini will direct connect to your phone or tablet using the eufyHome app, which is easily downloadable from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. In addition to app connectivity, you can connect it with a hub device so that you can integrate it and enable voice commands, which are really cool.

4.jpg

Control it Remotely:
One of the greatest advantages to having a “smart” plug in your home, especially the Smart Plug Mini, is that you can control electronic devices/applicances while you’re away from home. I can think of many instances where I have been out of town for a few days and wish I had the ability to turn lights on for security purposes. Well, now I don’t have to worry about that anymore because I can turn my lights on/off with a simple app gesture.

5.jpg

Pairing: In the event that you cannot connect the Smart Plug Mini to the eufyHome app when you fire it up, all you have to do to ensure that the device is in “pairing” mode is to hold down the power button on the Smart Plug Mini for 5 seconds. This will put the Plug into “pairing” mode, so you can connect it easily. The rest of the setup sets are very simple and easy to follow. However, if you are running into issues connecting it to a hub device, it might be because the Smart Plug Mini will only connect with 2.4 GHz networks. You will need to ensure you’re using the appropriate signal from your router or it won’t work properly.

6.jpg

Limitations: The maximum wattage that the Smart Plug Mini can handle is 1800W. This shouldn’t be an issue for many people, but if you feel the need to connect over 1800W to a single outlet or power strip, then you won’t be able to use it with the Smart Plug Mini. The manual doesn’t say what will happen if you overload it, but I can only imagine that a) it’s hazardous or b) you’ll get sucked into another dimension. Regardless, I do not recommend it.

7.jpg
8.jpg

Conclusion: The eufy Smart Plug Mini is a great addition to any home, and convenient to use. Thankfully, the device supports both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, which allows you to use those nifty voice commands. It is a solid addition to any home and a great introductory into making your home “smarter.” The connectivity and functionality is great, and the extra features such as electricity usage monitoring and hub-less connectivity give it an additional nod over some other similarly priced devices. Overall, I think it is a great product and I have thoroughly enjoyed using it, and the pricing isn’t bad either - $22.99 on Amazon. You can also pick up a 2pk for $39.99, if you feel so inclined.

If you’re interested in picking up one of eufy’s Smart Plug Minis, you can find them on Amazon for $22.99, and they also qualify for Prime 2-day shipping - https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Assista...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3118562. As always, feel free to leave any questions or comments down in the comment section.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Nice review.
Too bad you didn’t mention if it works with HomeKit or not, as I’m sure many people on iMore will be interested to read that in a review posted to iMore.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
What's most cool about these things is the ability to control them with a voice activated home speaker such as Alexa, Google Home, or Apple's HomePod. Yes these things have an app you can use, and that is great for setting timer type functions, BUT it's just so cool, to arrive home and say "Alexa turn on my lights" or "Alexa turn on the bedroom AC"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2