Question for early iOS 7 testers: are there any major bugs in iOS 7 ?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
obviously everyone wants the newest iOS, but not everyone are as savvy as the developers who can roll back to previous iOS if there are major bugs.

The reason I ask is that I do not want the same experience as in iOS 6 when the Map was a fiasco, to say the least, and for not being able to roll back to 5, that was very hard for people who already upgrade to 6 as G Map was not available then.

so with that said, are there any major bugs that would affect user experience just like iOS 6 with the maps issue?

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
.so with that said, are there any major bugs that would affect user experience just like iOS 6 with the maps issue?
no... and the issues with maps were greatly exaggerated by bloggers throwing out link bait because ragging on Apple about maps was in vogue at the moment. I'm not denying there were issues... there were... and still are... the same kinds of issues that are every day things that happen on every platform and with every app.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with kch50428, but add that the iOS 6 Maps issue didn't affect my user experience one bit...:)

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
no... and the issues with maps were greatly exaggerated by bloggers throwing out link bait because ragging on Apple about maps was in vogue at the moment. I'm not denying there were issues... there were... and still are... the same kinds of issues that are every day things that happen on every platform and with every app.

This is not a comment on the OP's question about iOS 7. I've not used it and have no idea if there are any bugs. But your comment about the iOS 6 maps brings up a larger issue that is worth addressing. It is a fact that being successful makes an individual, business, sports team, etc a target for others who take a sick delight in seeing success toppled. Apple and the iPhone are an easy target because they are wildly popular and the product continues to have amazing success. I believe this is a large reason behind the current "Apple didn't innovate anything" with iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s. A critic or tech blogger could say "the iPhone 5s will provide an outstanding experience for consumers because..,." But it is more popular to magnify perceived shortcomings or accuse Apple of not innovating.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is not a comment on the OP's question about iOS 7. I've not used it and have no idea if there are any bugs. But your comment about the iOS 6 maps brings up a larger issue that is worth addressing. It is a fact that being successful makes an individual, business, sports team, etc a target for others who take a sick delight in seeing success toppled. Apple and the iPhone are an easy target because they are wildly popular and the product continues to have amazing success. I believe this is a large reason behind the current "Apple didn't innovate anything" with iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s. A critic or tech blogger could say "the iPhone 5s will provide an outstanding experience for consumers because..,." But it is more popular to magnify perceived shortcomings or accuse Apple of not innovating.

You raise a valid point - and one that’s been discussed here in various threads... the bottom line is "haters be hatin'". No matter what the product, there are those who have to try to tear it down. I fully understand that there are many other options out there, and that any of Apple's products are not for everyone - whether were talking about phones, tables, computers, music players or tv-attached entertainment boxes. I’ve said all along that as a consumer, you do the research and go with what works for you and your situation.

With that said, however, all companies do things sometimes that don’t make sense to the general public. Apple was in a hurry to shed itself of the Google influence, and dropped maps before they were ready with their own replacement. Personally, the Apple Maps app worked very well for me. I never had any issues with it. I also realize that some did. But because there were issues for some people and in some areas, the Apple Maps app became a lightning rod for all of the Apple critics. Despite the wringing of hands and the gnashing of teeth, Apple survived that alleged fiasco well. The same thing happened with "Antenna-gate" with the iPhone 4 launch. Jobs was ridiculed for his "you're holding it wrong" response to the reported problems. In large part he was right. There are/were a number of other phones that exhibited the same behavior, but it was the new Apple device that was set up as the poster child for failure.

But historically Apple has taken features and functions that, admittedly, may be developed or introduced by others and tweak them and make them work - and they work seamlessly and often flawlessly.

When you’re successful - "Apple successful", you will always have a large target on your back. So far, Apple has responded well and not only survived, but excelled.

And the bloggers and "tech writers" find it fashionable to bash Apple, its products and its success. And they will continue to do so because it’s "good copy". Remember the newspaper adage: It’s not news when a dog bites a man. But when a man bites a dog, THAT's news.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
There were some annoying bugs on the iPad version, but they're gone with the Gold Master.

The only lasting issue some will have is with design, and there's nothing to be done about that except wait for the jailbreak.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
there are no bugs that ive seen in the GM other than the occasional force close of an app. but i blame the app for that since they arent all updated yet.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I got a few and they can easily be reproduced. Deleting a tv show video from the videos app crashes the app. Holding down on and picture while on the settings app and choosing a wallpaper crashes the app. Another one i can't reproduce but which has happened to me around 4-5x today, either i was watching a video, or doing a facetime audio call, or playing a game of Worms 3 when i got an sms or an alert, and i tried pulling down the notification bar, i got an apple logo and the phone rebooted.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I got a few and they can easily be reproduced. Deleting a tv show video from the videos app crashes the app. Holding down on and picture while on the settings app and choosing a wallpaper crashes the app. Another one i can't reproduce but which has happened to me around 4-5x today, either i was watching a video, or doing a facetime audio call, or playing a game of Worms 3 when i got an sms or an alert, and i tried pulling down the notification bar, i got an apple logo and the phone rebooted.

How did you load the GM? Throughout the betas I just upgraded and restored from my backup. The GM I restored set up as a new phone and started with a fresh base. It's what I do with every iOS when I'm testing. I had your issue with the wallpaper in previous betas and haven't had it with the GM seed which is why I asked. I know not everyone can set up as new but if a user can that is what I would recommend to get a really great experience.

OP
There are little bugs I still have a list but I'm pretty sure it will all be fixed when it's released to the general public. You listed Maps but that was not a bug it was an app that wasn't fully baked in some cases and let to a bad user experience for some people. Are there things that users will complain about yes everyone complains it's a part of life. Are there things you might not like it's going to be hard to say here because everyone uses their devices differently. Are there any Maps type oversight no the OS is stable as all hell and there are so many nice additions. The app auto update feature is one thing that proves the point perfectly. I love it because I'm so OCD that on iOS 6 I checked for app updates once a week. Now I never check for updates and it makes my life easier. However there are people who like to do the updates manually because if there are problems with the updates then they can avoid it until the bugs are worked out.

My opinion the majority of users will love iOS 7 after they get done complaining about the look of the icons, the difference of using Finder, Control Center gets in the way.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
im not a dev so i loaded using the option+click on the update button in itunes. Guess i'll just be waiting for the official release and restore then update to that even if it's basically the same build since i might have downloaded a bad file or something

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I like iOS 7 a lot. Nothing major I have found, I think the os could use a little tweaking for battery life and the notification center menu. It seems to work sometimes and sometimes not when brining the menu up. It could be my case causes it too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
obviously everyone wants the newest iOS, but not everyone are as savvy as the developers who can roll back to previous iOS if there are major bugs.

The reason I ask is that I do not want the same experience as in iOS 6 when the Map was a fiasco, to say the least, and for not being able to roll back to 5, that was very hard for people who already upgrade to 6 as G Map was not available then.

so with that said, are there any major bugs that would affect user experience just like iOS 6 with the maps issue?

Thanks.

This may help calm your fears.

http://bgr.com/2013/09/16/ios-7-0-1-download-in-testing/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4