ProRes Video Is A BEAST!

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Both quality AND space needed.
A high end Intel PC (11th gen i7 laptop) cannot play it via VLC but QT on M1 Macbook Pro does, not too surprised.
A quite short clip takes several GIGS of space as expected. I mean you're basically taking 24 8MP raw stills every second AND recording audio...

To get it NOW you need Filmic pro, but it's available for the taking.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It's "baked in" to the camera app now with developer beta 15.1 b3 FYI.

Scary thought, on my 13 Pro Max 1TB if I select 4k30 and prores, it shows 138 minutes. So my 1TB phone which has about 80GB used will be FULL after shooting 138 minutes of video. Scary as that is it's useful to me as recording gigs with prores on a phone is a reality now.

What is truly scary is how long it's gonna take to get hundreds of gigs of footage off the phone with USB 2.0 via lightning. This is exactly why this device should be USB type C. Even better if it had thunderbolt 4 capability for Mac M1 users! ;)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I can only see myself using it for say. UFO landing or a tsunami oh and BigFoot lol

Those type of things would need great quality and heavy editing controls

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Sporting events as you're essentially shooting 30 8MP stills every second! ;)
I always thought 8K (on some Android devices) had merits HOWEVER the compression is so high the quality is horrid.
Raw fixes this at the cost of storage.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It really is. I shot a couple of videos last night at a concert and the quality is amazing.

I’m just baffled at how much Apple touted usb c on the iPad mini during the event and still went lighting on the iPhone Pros. The transfer speeds for these huge files deserve usb c.